Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Anti Theft

Old 03-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Theft

What's the best anti theft system? A simple alarm system simply doesn't cut it anymore. What about etching the windows?

As simon would say, discuss.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing... Unless you want to park your car in a secret underground storage facility under your house that needs retinal scan and urine test for access

Boomerang and Virgil i guess for tracking. But personally I have never had a car stolen. Knock on wood! But if it was i wouldn't want it back.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:33 AM

I guess you never really know what works until something actually happens. (then you know that is didn't work) What everyone wants is an effective deterrent against theft, vandelizim, and in a perfect world... carelessness.

Anyone have experience where their system actually made a tangible difference?

Vigil at least sent me an email that my battery was running low once. Nothing to do with theft but handy none the less.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

Vigil... my bad...

Does it email you if you're low on fuel too? That could be handy for the track when I'm not paying attention Just route it to the blackberry
Old 03-23-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check this....i may have posted it before.

many moons ago (10 years) i used to have a corrado. went out one night without my car (got a ride) and left it on the driveway (my dad's car and my brother's car were in the garage).

came back late and it wasn't there...thought my brother may have taken it out....no biggie.

go upstairs to change for bed and see my brother's light on. walk in and he's reading.....i ask him and he says he did go out for a bit but the car was there when he came back (he took his car and stuffed it back in the garage).

i call the cops and report it stolen...cops call back literally in 5 minutes. saying to was involved in a chase and the guy bailed and hasn't been found yet, and there's damage to the car to boot....again, no biggie...what are you gonna do, right?

cops come by the house and start interrogating me - where was i, who was i with, etc...i'm like WTF? they said i matched the description of the thief. they go on to tell me that the keys are in the ignition....i'm like "WHOA, HOLD ON".

i run inside and get all 3 sets and put them in the cops hand....i say to him "how can the keys be in the ignition if you're holding both masters and valet?"....he doesn't answer. he leaves and says to sit tight and don't go to sleep yet....he'll be back.

sure enough he comes back 20 minutes later (it happened around the corner from us (yonge, just south of finch, on doris).

he comes back with an ignition cylinder.

he asks for my keys....all 3 fit the cylinder....i'm having a heartattack at this point (and i'm not thinking).

he says THIS cylinder was found on the floor on the passenger side. there is still another ignition cylinder hooked up in the car with a key stuck in it.

turns out, someone bypassed the alarm (later found out it's dirt simple to do on VW's - i could probably do it if owned a VW and was in a pinch), removed my ignition cylinder and re-installed one for which they had a key. all you have to do is turn the key and drive away....

i no longer worry about alarms.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jasonoff,Mar 23 2005, 02:37 PM
Vigil... my bad...

Does it email you if you're low on fuel too? That could be handy for the track when I'm not paying attention Just route it to the blackberry
No fuel warning but you can set a speed threshold... there's an idea... Have it email you if your top speed exceeds 180 or so on the Fabi straight.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM

Damn, what a F***ed up story. The cop wanted to pin you for it.

For security though, I think the boomerang 2 system is good. Just remember any thing can be stolen. If a theives wants it, they will take it.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:35 AM

autostart or compustar - vandalism
Vigil or Boomerang2 - theft
Old 03-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

My alarm has proximity external/internal along with shock and motion.

I (think i) turned both proximity all the way down . Odds are some punk kid who walks by and hears a beep would mess with it for shits and giggles.

I think it's more of a pain in the ass than anything. SO if anyone has a stock honda alarm and wants something with some gadgets send me a PM
Old 03-24-2005, 12:36 PM

what about gps?

Quick Reply: Anti Theft