S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   Anyone Daily Drive a Civic Type R in Winter (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/anyone-daily-drive-civic-type-r-winter-1191132/)

zeroptzero 01-28-2019 01:42 PM

We've decided to go with a 2019 Subaru WRX Sport in world rally blue. It was just more practical for our needs as much as I loved the CTR. The Subaru buying experience was miles ahead of the last Honda purchase I made, quite refreshing how they do business.

I can't wait to do my own oil changes, the oil filter sits high up and vertical in the engine bay, like between the radiator and intake manifold, such an easy way to change oil filters, what a novel idea.

MAGGIEMAE 02-05-2019 01:32 PM

Good choice my wife had two WRX’s before her BRZ and she never was worried about getting stuck :LOL: But to your point about the BRZ she has never gotten stuck with it either Winter tires on all of them and the difference is dramatic over no seasons. Traction control is also a plus as well the Fiat 124 can be made to spin quite easily if it is off :egads:

zeroptzero 02-05-2019 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE (Post 24562809)
Good choice my wife had two WRX’s before her BRZ and she never was worried about getting stuck :LOL: But to your point about the BRZ she has never gotten stuck with it either Winter tires on all of them and the difference is dramatic over no seasons. Traction control is also a plus as well the Fiat 124 can be made to spin quite easily if it is off :egads:

Thanks for the reply and info. I think the WRX was the most practical way to go without getting an SUV, and everyone in the household can drive it. I just feel safer putting my son in an AWD for winter conditions. He is too new of a driver to control a RWD vehicle in winter, but I was quite impressed with the BRZ design and interior, I would love one as second car.

Niuniu32 02-07-2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24556279)
Looking to get a daily driver which would be used in winter, while my first thought was a WRX given their great AWD system, but I'd consider a Civic Type R if it could handle winter conditions (with the appropriate tires and rims). Anyone with the Civic Type R drive theirs in winter ? We get a moderate amount of snow in London, and I do a fair bit of highway driving. I like the 4 doors and Turbo motors on both, not looking for the best performer necessarily as both cars have enough power for me and my family. Thanks for any replies.

Hi man.
I daily drive a CTR and i survived the hardest snow off in Toronto 2 weeks ago so i think you will be fine most of the time as long as you have winter tires. it does take a long time to warm up both the engine and trans in the winter, during the coldest days the trans is still not feel right even with a 20ms cruise. Too much opening in the front letting those freezing air in XD. Plus you might get frostbite on the Aluminium shifter so a pair of gloves is recommended
I would say go with a type r, it's cheaper than the rivals and it get pretty good gas milage as well and the hatch is just provide so much more usability.

zeroptzero 02-07-2019 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Niuniu32 (Post 24563573)
Hi man.
I daily drive a CTR and i survived the hardest snow off in Toronto 2 weeks ago so i think you will be fine most of the time as long as you have winter tires. it does take a long time to warm up both the engine and trans in the winter, during the coldest days the trans is still not feel right even with a 20ms cruise. Too much opening in the front letting those freezing air in XD. Plus you might get frostbite on the Aluminium shifter so a pair of gloves is recommended
I would say go with a type r, it's cheaper than the rivals and it get pretty good gas milage as well and the hatch is just provide so much more usability.

cool, that was certainly a good test of the vehicle, that was a nasty storm for sure. I never thought about heat in the engine and tranny in cold temps but I can see how that happens. The Type R is a great value, and fuel economy is really good, 4 doors and a hatch is hard to beat. It's a great car for sure.

Niuniu32 02-07-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24563584)
cool, that was certainly a good test of the vehicle, that was a nasty storm for sure. I never thought about heat in the engine and tranny in cold temps but I can see how that happens. The Type R is a great value, and fuel economy is really good, 4 doors and a hatch is hard to beat. It's a great car for sure.

only if you get one at MSRP. I'm lucky that a dealer would give me one at that price. Any mark up is a no for me on this car

zeroptzero 02-07-2019 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Niuniu32 (Post 24563650)
only if you get one at MSRP. I'm lucky that a dealer would give me one at that price. Any mark up is a no for me on this car

Yeah the ones I was looking at were not priced above MRSP, London Honda has three of them and they don't seem to be moving all that fast. I refuse to pay any premium on any vehicle.

darcyw 02-07-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24563660)
Yeah the ones I was looking at were not priced above MRSP, London Honda has three of them and they don't seem to be moving all that fast. I refuse to pay any premium on any vehicle.

apparently dealers in Ontario can't sell cars above MSRP, or so the google told me. Plus, no car- none- is worth paying above MSRP for. ever.
But, you know who's born every minute.

darcy

starchland 02-07-2019 08:21 PM

What's happening in the ctr used market? Seems like quite a few sitting in dealer lots, and then some that jumped in at lease rates that appear pretty high...

Niuniu32 02-07-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by starchland (Post 24563694)
What's happening in the ctr used market? Seems like quite a few sitting in dealer lots, and then some that jumped in at lease rates that appear pretty high...

the used market seems to be hovering around 38-40k regardless of the miles.
When i puchace the car the lease rates for the CTR is at a non-nogociable 6.99% which is ridiculous.
a lot of them sit on the lot cause they wanna add a lot of accessories when purchasing the car.
My dealer just added a 160 all wheather floor mats which I don’t really mind.