Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Dealer Rip Off Artist

Old 10-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Rip Off Artist

Hey guys,

My grandfather ( on his own unfortunately ) got ripped off pretty good from Marvin Starr Motors in Scarborough

He's the typical 80 something still fresh off the boat kinda guy, that has a far too big of a heart to think someone would take advantage of him.

Help me think of legal ways I can get this ****er back.

Oh, and spread the word too.. imagine your grandparent or parent who doesn't know much about cars had to go through the same thing. I'm livid!

Thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 03:18 PM

more details would help...cant go aruond telling people
"hey marvin starr sucks!!"
"why..?"
"....they just do!"
Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM

details!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Former Moderator

His giant lincoln broke down so he had to get a new car.

He went there, and they sold him an oldsmobile for $6,000.00, this car is worth at most $2k. The most expensive one I can find on autotrader is $3k and even that's from a dealer with half the KM.

He's on a fixed income, they saw a sucker and took advantage him.

When my sister called and asked him to explain, the guy went into a tear, basically told her to F off and hung up.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Former Moderator

And yes.. I know if my Grandpa had just called me and said what do you think? this would have been avoided. I'm not saying that he's without blame. He just comes from a different place and time where stuff like this doesn't happen.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to sell cars for Honda many years ago, so I was a OMVIC certified salesperson.

As I recall, just like in buying a house, I remember something about a certain "ethics" that salespeople have to adhere to or face being judged by OMVIC.

I suggest calling OMVIC and speaking to an officer and mention:

-advertising a vehicle that is grossly over priced for year and condition
-not providing a fare market value of vehicle to customer
-Misleading value for condition, make and model

Don't quote me on this stuff, but instead give OMVIC a call with something along those lines and see what they say. Like I said I can't really remember but hey, it's worth a shot.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:59 PM

you could post in the black balled dealerships section as well
Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Former Moderator

Good ideas guys, thanks.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:50 PM

yeah, see if you can call the Gov or BBB for that! that dlr is a ****in rip and a half! about 8-9 yrs ago, my dad got his 95 monte carlo z34 from there used. he sorta 'knew' the sales man who helped him with the deal via the used car sales guy. anyways, this guy was all buddybuddy, car was a decent price (nothing to crazy), off lease, ok km's etc.

so within a couple of years, the paint kept peeling from the rear bumper, we notice it wasn't the OE bumper...find out that it was in a rear end collision, dont know how bad, but they did the whole bumper and even rear beam and trunk possibly+ 2 new mufflers.....told us it was a 'clean' car...WTF (i was like 19-20 yrs old at the time, dad not a car guy, and we wanted to try a sporty american car). anyways, the sales guy basicaly told my dad if the damage was under $2500 (their cost of course), they didnt have to tell us of the damages?!!? not sure if this was BS or not...but my dad wrote to the pres. of the dlrship and Gov too...sadly nothign came of it i dont think.

**** ... of all cars we looked at and pick this one, those fwd's mid 90's GM's are ALL garbage...fun motor but man that car was a nightmare after it turned 4/5 yrs old! fukc. they also said no engine issues...the CEL was on at least 2-3 times / year after the first 10 months we owned it...said there was nothing they could do, blahblah. tranny went once, motor finally went like 4 yrs later...not even 180,000km's on it either. car would die on him somtimes on the hwy's...QEW it just died while driving, somwhere in middle of Michigan in a rain storm too, oh and back from up north once as well....thing needed an alternator EVERY 2 years, no joke. never again.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Mike, wish I could help. My folks are 86 and if someone did that to my father I'd be on the spin cycle too. Let us know how it works out.

Quick Reply: Dealer Rip Off Artist