Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

DoGMaN & Mindcore - tire grip riddle solved

Old 07-08-2002, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DoGMaN & Mindcore - tire grip riddle solved

Well it was warm/hot when I got back to Rochester and we both have gone through similar weather patterns in the past couple of weeks. And tire pressure was the same because our elevation above sea level is about the same.

The roads here have a higher level of grip, no question about it!

I thought the backend was really loose while I was there because the tires had 6,000 miles on them. Nope. The tires were loose because the coefficient of friction for your pavement is different than ours.

Conclusion:
How sad. They give you roads where you can just plain fly without worrying about police and respond with a slipperier surface. The give us very grippy roads, but watch us like hawks and issue tickets for very small amounts over the posted speed.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny that you mention that because I found the roads to be more slippery then the ones in the GTA.

Was it just me or did you guys also experience the ass end kick out more then usual???
Old 07-08-2002, 09:25 AM

Ahh very interesting, cheap bastards up here.

Now the question I have is, will that make us better drivers
Old 07-08-2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by S2000_rider
Was it just me or did you guys also experience the ass end kick out more then usual???
Sadly, no.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2000_rider
[B]It's funny that you mention that because I found the roads to be more slippery then the ones in the GTA.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:39 PM

Guys... it's called dirt.

If memory serves, it hadn't rained for.. many days.

With the exception of one left hand turn (I think the first time we turned onto Fairgrounds) any time the car did anything I didn't want it to was in the gravel or dirt (mostly on the salamander). I think the problem with the Fairgrounds turn is it went down hill a bit before going up. Balance was a little upset during the turn. In my experience, back country roads are rarely level... any time a turn has a break in it, or a split in it, the S02's will step out a bit.

24,000km S-02's. Down to the wear bars.

Though it's pretty likely the ashphalt mix varies too.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taylor
[B]Guys... it's called dirt.
If memory serves, it hadn't rained for.. many days.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:44 PM

What roads are we talking about here? The ones we were on on Saturday, or some other roads I wasn't on?
Old 07-08-2002, 01:52 PM

Or if you're talking about any major road in town, one must consider the huge amount of transport vehicles. Case in point would be Dixie Rd. When it rains, it might as well be snow. Intersections are particularily worse as the trucks spend a large amount of time just sitting at them or in them. Too many trucks.

As for any other road, I'm pretty sure Toronto has a higher level of traffic than upstate New York. So I would probably point once again to the crud that vehicles lay down and then of course the punishment the ashphalt takes.

If you want GRIP, the 407 from just after Bronte till it meets up with the 403 is insane. In the wet, no ducktails, no spray at all. It's amazing. Whatever they did with that particular section of road. All road surfaces should be that stuff!
Old 07-08-2002, 02:28 PM
Former Moderator

Heheh The 407 is made out of concrete , thats why it grips like glue..

I can see Taylors point, I seemed to have less grip in spots then I usualy do..but in all fairness I have no idea what I'm talking about

Quick Reply: DoGMaN & Mindcore - tire grip riddle solved