Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

E-Test Today - Mixed Feelings on new system...

Old 09-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,479 Posts
Default E-Test Today - Mixed Feelings on new system...

I took the S2000 in for e-testing today, this was the first e-test I've had to do under the new system. I kind of like the fact that it is so easy to pass, it only takes 10 minutes max., and you don't have to be worried about high NO-x or high HC etc.... . But shelling out $35+ for such a simple test just makes it feel like a huge cash grab from the government now. It's not really about low emissions anymore IMO, if I had a CEL it would have been cleared before I went to the test, so easy to do. What a waste of money, I can't even say that "I passed with flying colours" anymore , lol
Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I passed with flying letters lol....

I agree with you and understand where your thought/feeling is coming from.

I think they should make a sticter drive clean policy against those old vans, cubic van, trucks, etc. When I drive by one of those, I seriously could've get killed by their poisonous gas! It gives me headache!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2000AP1

I think they should make a sticter drive clean policy against those old vans, cubic van, trucks, etc. When I drive by one of those, I seriously could've get killed by their poisonous gas! It gives me headache!
Yes exactly, they need to crack down on the big polluters with tons of stuff coming out of the exhaust pipes. I can't tell you how many late model diesel VW's I've seen in recent months that spew out black exhaust and their entire rear end is a sheet of carbon you can't even read their license plates, lol, how do they get away with emmissions testing ?.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by 2000AP1' timestamp='1380413183' post='22801446

Yes exactly, they need to crack down on the big polluters with tons of stuff coming out of the exhaust pipes. I can't tell you how many late model diesel VW's I've seen in recent months that spew out black exhaust and their entire rear end is a sheet of carbon you can't even read their license plates, lol, how do they get away with emmissions testing ?.

Dont drive beinh my evo then lol
Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000AP1' timestamp='1380413183' post='22801446

Dont drive beind my evo then lol
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.scrapdriveclean.ca/
Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 AM

[/quote]

Dont drive beind my evo then lol
[/quote]

I ran behind a de-catted Evo at Gingerman Raceway for a 20 minute lapping interval, by the end of the run I was ready to throw-up, yuck, lol.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM

I took the S2000 in for e-testing today, this was the first e-test I've had to do under the new system. I kind of like the fact that it is so easy to pass, it only takes 10 minutes max., and you don't have to be worried about high NO-x or high HC etc.... . But shelling out $35+ for such a simple test just makes it feel like a huge cash grab from the government now. It's not really about low emissions anymore IMO, if I had a CEL it would have been cleared before I went to the test, so easy to do. What a waste of money, I can't even say that "I passed with flying colours" anymore , lol

You can not just clear the engine light . Car has to perform several steps to get the system back to ready state. If more then one statuses are not ready for years 99 and up you fail. You are allowed 2 for years 98 and down.

What You Need to Know About Readiness
Most vehicles are “ready” to take the new test

All vehicles made in Canada since 1998 have an on board computer that records information about emissions related parts and systems as you drive. The new Drive Clean test captures that information to make sure your vehicle’s emissions control systems are working properly.

The information in your vehicle’s computer may have been erased if any of the following happened recently:

the vehicle was serviced and the battery was disconnected
the battery was replaced
the battery was drained, by leaving the headlights on, etc.
the computer codes were cleared or reset to turn off the “check engine” light (if you had repairs done to your vehicle recently)

MYTH: Disconnecting your battery will help your vehicle pass the Drive Clean test.

FACT: Disconnecting your battery will likely lead to an incomplete emissions.

"Not ready" test result

If the Drive Clean test is not able to get the information from your vehicle’s on board computer, you will get a “not ready” result.

Before you get your vehicle re-tested, you’ll need to take your vehicle through a Drive Cycle.

Ask a qualified repair technician to tell you why your vehicle wasn’t ready.

If your vehicle is still not ready after two tests with no emissions problems identified, you will get a readiness conditional pass, if you meet specified conditions.
Getting your car ready with the drive cycle

Usually, you should only need to get your vehicle ready for the test if you have disconnected the battery or had recent repairs.

The drive cycle is different for every vehicle. In most cases, a day or two of highway and city driving should reset the vehicle computer and make it ready for the test.

Get information about the drive cycle for your specific vehicle by:

searching online for the drive cycle specific to your vehicle
checking your owner’s manual
speaking to your Drive Clean facility or mechanic

The readiness conditional pass

On February 6, 2013, Drive Clean introduced a temporary solution for individuals and car dealers who have a vehicle with repeated readiness problems. Learn more.
Is your "check engine" light on?

A vehicle with a "check engine" light on will likely fail the test.

The "check engine" or "malfunction indicator" light means there is something wrong with your vehicle’s emissions control system. If you ignore the warning, you could be causing further damage that wastes fuel, shortens the engine life and may result in potentially expensive repairs.

Your vehicle’s computer will also register a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) that indicates there is something wrong with the vehicle’s emissions control system that needs to be repaired. The Drive Clean test equipment connects to the on-board diagnostics computer and retrieves diagnostic information as part of the vehicle emissions inspection.
Information for car dealers

Some dealers’ vehicles have not been ready for the new Drive Clean test because:

The vehicle has been on the lot for a long time with a dead or disconnected battery.
Repairs or maintenance required the battery to be disconnected.
The vehicle has a weak battery that can barely start the engine and shows voltage dropping during cranking.
Computer codes were cleared or reset to turn off the “check engine” light (MIL).

You should get your emissions test done before:

leaving vehicles on the lot for an extended period of time. The Drive Clean test is good for one year
performing any repairs that require the battery to be disconnected
clearing codes in the vehicle’s on-board computer

You can get information about drive cycles for specific vehicles through aftermarket service information sources or the vehicle manufacturer’s technical website.
Checking for readiness before taking the test

You can check for readiness by plugging a portable scan tool into the vehicle’s diagnostic link connector to see if the monitors are ready. If the scan tool indicates the monitors are not ready, then the car needs to be run through a drive cycle.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 AM

This test really doesn't make much sense anymore...you could have a vehicle only a year old with a cel on for a loose gas cap and it will fail. You could have a 12 year old hoopdie with no cel on but puking black smoke and it will pass. And sometimes you have to drive the vehicle for a week before it will become "ready" even though the proper repair was performed the week prior.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:06 AM

There are far too many loopholes you can exploit for DriveClean to really be successful in its intended purpose of reducing harmful emissions. One loophole I know is registering your vehicle under a cottage address north of a certain postal code. Never again will you have to do emissions. Another big one is conditional pass. If you go in immediately after clearing your CEL you will fail due to no readiness. Bring your car in again a second time to the same shop you failed at after at least 24 hours and 30km (and no CEL) and you get a pass. Just make sure you drive those 30km in a way that you do not set off any CEL codes. Albeit this method costs you a bit more it still is a loophole that is very easily abused. Also years 1998-2000 can have up to 2 not ready monitors (source: http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...STDPROD_102286 ) This certainly does not make sense to me as the readiness monitors are the same across any car that has them. One specific example is the S2000. Years 2000/2001 share the same ECU and yet have different pass requirements. You might as well have the same requirements across all years.

All this said, I prefer the new method. It gives me my paper faster and doesn't require a car to be driven on a dyno. Canadian Tire in Guelph thought the S2000 was FWD and hence put the front wheels on the dyno. If I didn't catch them fast enough my car may have driven through the wall into the waiting area.

Quick Reply: E-Test Today - Mixed Feelings on new system...