Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Engine light...

Old 11-25-2002, 08:37 PM
Fob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light...

Alright...this is not the first time that the Engine light has came on...
3rd time to be exact...

Before I just took my car back to the dealership and have them to check for me. Previous was because of the untighten oil cap...
I assume this time is as well....?

However, the mechanic told me when I finish filling the gas I have to tight the oil cap until I hear 3 clicking sound. Which I did always...but somehow it just came on out of nowhere again today...Is anyone else experiencing this?

I mean, if I modify my car and get a straight mid-pipe or something and the Engine light's on, that's alright with me... But with a fully stock car and the Engine light's always coming on like that, I don't know I just feel strange and want to get my car back to the dealers and don't want to drive it while it's got the check Engine light on...

Two questions here though...What can I do to reset the ECU so the Engine light would go off? Also how can I check what's the Error that occurs while the light's on?

If anyone has experience in this please share...I don't think the Engine light would come on that easily...There's gotta be some problem with my stupid oil cap...(though it looks so new)
Old 11-26-2002, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it is worth-
Many of us in the states have a problematic gas cap.
You put the cap on, turn it just a little ways and it starts to click, problem is, at that point the cap is nowhere close to being on tight. I have found if I push straight down and turn very slowly I can get the cap to turn past this spot without clicking. Then the cap cranks down to where it belongs and I tighten it to the 3rd or 5th click. Again, crank very slowly and put some pressure on it. I have no idea if you have the same bad cap as some of us, but it is worth a try.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:01 AM
Banned

Hmmmm, problem after problem with this car is starting to deter me form purchasing one.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:28 AM

Oh Jason, give me a break!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:19 AM

Here are 5 problems that I would have if I did not own an S2000.

1. My trip to and from work could not possibly be as fun, wouldnt matter what car I did own.
2. My car would gradually fill with "stuff". Having no room prevents me from putting anything in the car in the first place.
3. All those people who think that I am cool because Ive got a truely special car would think Im just another schmo with a nice car.
4. I would have to rephrase what it is like at redline in my car. "You gotta hear this puppy roar when it hits 5,000 rpm, its a screamin'!"
5. I would constantly be defending why I spent $90k on a Boxster S, or would have to "learn to love" the look of my WRX, I wouldnt be able to sleep knowing that I am driving my NSX all year around, or have to tell my wife that my 348 deserved some servicing more than we did a holliday.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:49 AM

Fob, I have experienced this exact same thing 3 times. I finally traced it down to the gas cap.

When you tighten it down if you us the straight part of the cap, you will get this problem again. This is because about half way through the travel to screw the cap on, it will tighten and give you 3 clicks. BUT, it is not all the way down. Try this. Grap the cap by the edges and start to screw it down. After you feel it tightening up, keep going and it will loosen up again. Now use the straight portion and look for the 3 clicks. Never had a problem since I started doing this.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Jasonoff
Hmmmm, problem after problem with this car is starting to deter me form purchasing one.
i don't know what to say other than, good.....one less S2000 on the road.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:12 AM
Fob

ok, so it's not the damaged gas cap or anything like that...

now how do I reset my ECU myself? I don't want to drive around with the check engine light on...
Old 11-26-2002, 09:19 AM

Pull the fuse. If I remember correctly, it is the third one in the right bank of fuses.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Fob

ok, so I looked at the fuse box after I opened it...
there're basically two types of fuses I was looking at...
one is in black whlie another ones are "see-through" with some numbers on the surface...

which one to be exact should I unplug to reset the ECU?
or if you remember the name of the fuse that would be great since there's the name written on the fuse box cover...

sorry but I just don't want to screw any of these fuses up...

best regards,

Yung

Quick Reply: Engine light...