Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Finally Left the Honda Family

Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Left the Honda Family

So as some of you know, I recently sold my RSX Type-S for an RX-8. Ever since I purchased my S2000 4 years back I have only ever owned Honda cars. From Civics, to a '97 Prelude, to an '02 RSX Type-S and finally the RX-8 GT. I know some of you probably can't fathom why I'd get rid of the RSX in favour of a gas guzzling RX-8 which on paper is near identical to the S2000. It basically just came down to me really wanting an RX-8 and being able to swap cars relatively easily.

That being said...

At a glance you wouldn't notice it, but on paper the RX-8 and S2000 are VERY similar cars. Both have near identical HP/TQ numbers (+/- 5), both have 9000 red line making peak power around the same RPM range, both have direct-link short throw shifters, both have aluminum hoods, both are relatively light-weight, both are RWD, and the list goes on. Despite the similarities, both cars feel very different but perform relatively similar. On the road the S2000's suspension is much more stiff, whereas the RX-8 is a bit softer but still provides good feedback from the road. Amazingly the softer suspension does not contribute to more body roll than the S2000's stiffer suspension, however taking corners feels more enjoyable in the S2000 because I felt more in control. Pushing both cars through the RPM range to 9000, the RX-8 feels MUCH smoother. There are no surprises throughout the entire RPM range and acceleration stays almost perfectly constant. The S2000 feels like power is spooling up until 6000 where VTEC kicks in and adds a bit more power and hence making it feel faster through the straights.

Comfort wise, the RX-8 is much more comfortable on longer drives and has quite a few more creature comforts and technology-nannies than my MY00 S2000, like DSC traction control, heated seats, much better audio quality, self adjusting volume, auto-dimming mirrors, built in garage openers and I'm sure I'm missing a few. I have honestly never been a fan of cars with lots of technology as I always thought it took away from the driving experience, but after experiencing it on long drives it definitely has its perks and makes longer drives much more enjoyable and comfortable. The engine is actually so smooth and quiet in the cabin that I often times forget to shift from gear 5 to 6 accelerating on the highway. One of my few gripes with the RX-8 though is how high the seat is mounted combined with the low ceiling clearance. I'm not massive by any means, but at 5'11" I find my head touching the ceiling if I am sitting upright with proper posture. I'm told this isn't a problem with the GS/base model cars due to the lack of sunroof.

Speaking of maintenance, I would not be the least bit surprised if the RX-8 requires much more work and care than the S2000 as these cars are notorious for it. However, I always read about burning oil, abysmal gas mileage and a bunch of other things. After driving the RX-8 about 7000km since I purchased it, I can say with confidence the RX-8 burns no more oil than my S2000 does. As for gas mileage, I'm getting about 18 mpg in the city, 24ish mpg 100% highway and approximately 18-20 mpg combined. It is no doubt inefficient, but I would say far from as bad as many people make it out to be.

The best way I can put it: the RX-8 is the closest thing to an S2000 in a modern 4-seat configuration; it is essentially a grand touring S2000.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why John.. Why?!?!
Good writeup! Hope to see you in an S again!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Good luck with the new ride, I kind of like them, the rotary engine can rev very easily and is smoother than any inline 4. I think people are surprised by the fuel economy when they consider the displacement size of the engine, but from what you've described it isn't horrendous. All the best with the new car
Old 06-30-2013, 11:23 AM

Don't they go boom easily though ?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 PM

I should mention I still have my S2000. I got rid of the RSX for the RX-8.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shamusodoofus
oh.. OHHH..
You sure made it seem like you sold everything when you said you left the Honda family.. LOOOL
my bad!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shamusodoofus
Old 06-30-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Oh nice, if the Mazda ever breaks down you can still rely on the Honda to get you moving.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 PM

He is just having an affair with Mazda, but his true love is still Honda.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First and only time I left the Honda family was in the late 90's when I bought a Toyota MR2 Turbo MKII. Nice car but mine was not particularly a good example.

I don't see myself leaving Honda again until I have loads of money, and if I do buy another non-Honda it will likely be something drastically different from a high revving 4 cylinder car. Maybe a Jaguar XFR or BMW M3? I would always have at least 1 Honda in the garage at all times anyway

Quick Reply: Finally Left the Honda Family