Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Is fire extinguisher powder bad for paint surface?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is fire extinguisher powder bad for paint surface?

Some idiot decided to park next to my car, then proceeded to spill oil on his hot engine bay which consequently lit it on fire, which resulted in him coating his engine bay with fire extinguisher powder and settling the overspray all over my car...

Should I be concerned about this?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only in Welland
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 AM

lol you would think, but this actually happend while I was at work in Niagara
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait for Reapur to chime in.... He should be able to tell you
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM

From experience?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL you know it!!!

From what I can tell, paint should be ok haaha
Old 10-01-2012, 02:04 PM

I can tell youu from experiance it is bad for the paint. wash it off ASAP with soap and water. The chem is corrosive and hard to paint over the metal later
Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

there are differnet kinds of powder, some more corrosive than others. A quick wash and polish is the best way to reduce the chance of damage.

Monoammonium phosphate, also known as "tri-class", "multipurpose" or "ABC" dry chemical, used on class A, B, and C fires. It receives its class A rating from the agent's ability to melt and flow at 177 °C (350 °F) to smother the fire. More corrosive than other dry chemical agents. Pale yellow in color.

Sodium bicarbonate, "regular" or "ordinary" used on class B and C fires, was the first of the dry chemical agents developed. In the heat of a fire, it releases a cloud of carbon dioxide that smothers the fire. That is, the gas drives oxygen away from the fire, thus stopping the chemical reaction. This agent is not generally effective on class A fires because the agent is expended and the cloud of gas dissipates quickly, and if the fuel is still sufficiently hot, the fire starts up again. While liquid and gas fires don't usually store much heat in their fuel source, solid fires do. Sodium bicarbonate was very common in commercial kitchens before the advent of wet chemical agents, but now is falling out of favor, as it is much less effective than wet chemical agents for class K fires, less effective than Purple-K for class B fires, and is ineffective on class A fires. White or blue in color.

Potassium bicarbonate (aka Purple-K), used on class B and C fires. About two times as effective on class B fires as sodium bicarbonate, it is the preferred dry chemical agent of the oil and gas industry. The only dry chemical agent certified for use in ARFF by the NFPA. Violet in color.
Potassium bicarbonate & Urea Complex (aka Monnex/Powerex), used on Class B and C fires. More effective than all other powders due to its ability to decrepitate (where the powder breaks up into smaller particles) in the flame zone creating a larger surface area for free radical inhibition. Grey in color.

Potassium Chloride, or Super-K dry chemical was developed in an effort to create a high efficiency, protein-foam compatible dry chemical. Developed in the 60s, prior to Purple-K, it was never as popular as other agents since, being a salt, it was quite corrosive. For B and C fires, white in color.

Foam-Compatible, which is a sodium bicarbonate (BC) based dry chemical, was developed for use with protein foams for fighting class B fires. Most dry chemicals contain metal stearates to waterproof them, but these will tend to destroy the foam blanket created by protein (animal) based foams. Foam compatible type uses silicone as a waterproofing agent, which does not harm foam. Effectiveness is identical to regular dry chemical, and it is light green in color (some ANSUL brand formulations are blue). This agent is generally no longer used since most modern dry chemicals are considered compatible with synthetic foams such as AFFF.

MET-L-KYL / PYROKYL is a specialty variation of sodium bicarbonate for fighting pyrophoric liquid fires (ignite on contact with air). In addition to sodium bicarbonate, it also contains silica gel particles. The sodium bicarbonate interrupts the chain reaction of the fuel and the silica soaks up any unburned fuel, preventing contact with air. It is effective on other class B fuels as well. Blue/Red in color.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Wow thanks for the info. I used a hose and sprayed the car down right away, I'll be sure to wash the car fully with soap tomorrow morning. Hopefully my wax coating gave it enough protection.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by CR EH
Wow thanks for the info. I used a hose and sprayed the car down right away, I'll be sure to wash the car fully with soap tomorrow morning. Hopefully my wax coating gave it enough protection.
hopefully it was sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with the white colour you mentioned, it is not as corrosive as the other powders. As they are one of the cheaper fire extinquishers there is more of a chance that the sodium bicarbonate version was used. Having a coat of wax on the car is good.

Quick Reply: Is fire extinguisher powder bad for paint surface?