Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Help! what should I do from here? Soft Top

Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kdarren
Originally Posted by darcyw' timestamp='1434601119' post='23652022
black silicone adhesive from parts source/canadian tire.
old OEM top material cut with rounded corners.

clean inner surface of top with rubbing alcohol in the area you will apply the patch material. Clean patch with rubbing alcohol.

squeeze black silicone onto patch's material side and spread all over the patch (not the vinyl side). lay a towel all over the interior cause if you drop the patch, you'll make a mess of the interior.

press firmly into place.

leave top latched for 24 hours to cure the adhesive.

these patches have lasted over 4 years for me but your mileage may vary.

darcy

how liberal were you with the silicone? light film?
imagine the patch is a piece of toast. I spread the black silicone all over the patch with a wooden popsicle stick- every square millimetre- all the way right up to and over the crust. I put a little bit on the top itself. Its kinda like doing a tile installation. You want there to be enough silicone so there are NO air bubbles. You will push the patch into position and give it a bit of turn to set the patch into position. Don't use so much silicone that there are lumps and bumps- it needs to be smoothish.

Even better if you can reach it from the top side as well to provide something to push against. But, you don't have to push hard. just gentle pressure is needed and it will stay in position no worries.

darcy
Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

all patched up OEM top material and black silicone. cured for 24 hours. just did a test. it's lovely. also installed modifry top straps.. tighter than *insert vagina joke here*

hopefully this holds for awhile.
i also run a little extra under the edges and allow it to bleed out to seal the edge down. It will prevent it from catching and pulling the edges up/

darcy
Old 06-24-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite' timestamp='1435101781' post='23658108
[quote name='teggboi' timestamp='1435086088' post='23657774']
Go get some soft top fabric from Honda for $50. Google the part number for it. If not, you can go buy some nice vinyl/rubber bag at canadian tire for a bit over $10 and cut out the bag for a nice size patch. Clean the inside nicely, scruff it up a little and use loctite vinyl glue with vinyl facing vinyl, the rubber side of the patch rubs against the bars. Don't lower the top for a few days to let it cure.
50$ There are a bunch of people who sell patches on the site. Wouldn't bother with going to Honda.
honda part is $35 Canadian
[/quote]

I couldn't find any at the time I noticed mine just starting to fray.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Type R
I've tried many repairs and hacks:
Exterior:
- sewed the tear and sealed with vinyl repair kit from Walmart, still holding after 4-5 years but patch is starting to harden and chip off
- the patch fades in color with UV so I have touched up the 'blackness' with paint
- apply 303 aerospace and top looks like new again for about a week
- bought and sold hardtop, what a waste of time making the hoist for so little time I use hardtop

Interior:
- gorilla tape, comes off with heat and top folding after a couple of weeks
- iron-on patches, peels off after a couple of months
- rubber cement with patches, patch comes off, goo still there
- plastidip does not work to cover tears but covers the rubber cement goo well
- 3m strength foam adhesive pads, peels off with top folding

Anyway, time to replace the softtop next year but since my car is not a show car, doesn't really bother me unless I get a big leak
@S2K Type R did you end up replacing your top? If not, how is "sewing job" holding up after all these years?
Old 08-27-2019, 07:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you really want to know, my top is a mess and still procrastinating about replacing it. I have 4-5 tears all over.
The plastidip only works a few weeks, gorilla tape will melt in hot sun and the iron-on patches curl after a few weeks as well.
I do notice that black silicone sealant/adhesive works well and lasts a couple of years but will eventually harden and crack from opening/closing top so I strip it off and re-seal and/or re-sew as necessary.
I use 303 aerospace regularly so the extra darkness hides the patches a little.
On my list this fall is to replace the top.
The following users liked this post:
alSpeed2k (09-04-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if anyone already mentioned it, but if you don't have a hole yet, and just really bad wear on the inside, you can use Stormsure. When that stuff dries it is really strong. I made a square with tape around the affected area, spread on the Stormsure with a credit card, removed the tape and let it dry. It won't rip or tear from that point out.
The following users liked this post:
alSpeed2k (09-04-2019)