Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Honda Oil Filter Cap Wrench

Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_S2000
Taking the filter off, with any removing tool, is not the problem, since it doesn't matter if the filter gets damaged (or not).

Just need to be careful on the install.

I have this "claw" type remover that leaves small cuts and dents on the filter. Wouldn't want to use it for the install.

a strap wrench wont damage the filter...

Just take the new filter with you to get the right size range and avoid having to order the single size cup socket.

Metal:

Rubber:
Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 PM

partsource/ct has black plastic ones. and if it was put on by a wrench-style you can still get it off by hand unless they yank it on which they shouldnt be doing in the first place..
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Problem is that you need to turn the filter 7/8 of a turn (i.e. almost one complete turn) after initial contact with the engine block.

Need plenty of torque to do it.
^^^ THIS ^^^

There have been many posts in the past regarding oil filters spinning off because they were hand-tightened. At least 2 of the instances I remember caused engine bay fires. I'd say the $15-25 for a filter wrench is a good investment.

The OEM filter clearly states 15-18 lb-ft of torque, or 7/8's turn from when the gasket makes contact:

There's no way of getting that amount of twist without leverage. Take a click style torque wrench, set it to 15 lb-ft of torque, insert the largest socket you have, then twist as hard as you can. Let me know if you can get it to click.

Bottom line, only Chuck Norris can install S2000 filters by hand.

Edit:
Here is one of the s2000 on fire threads...S2000 Caught fire!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Originally Posted by Frank_S2000' timestamp='1336420898' post='21676793
Problem is that you need to turn the filter 7/8 of a turn (i.e. almost one complete turn) after initial contact with the engine block.

Need plenty of torque to do it.
^^^ THIS ^^^

There have been many posts in the past regarding oil filters spinning off because they were hand-tightened. At least 2 of the instances I remember caused engine bay fires. I'd say the $15-25 for a filter wrench is a good investment.

The OEM filter clearly states 15-18 lb-ft of torque, or 7/8's turn from when the gasket makes contact:

There's no way of getting that amount of twist without leverage. Take a click style torque wrench, set it to 15 lb-ft of torque, insert the largest socket you have, then twist as hard as you can. Let me know if you can get it to click.

Bottom line, only Chuck Norris can install S2000 filters by hand.

Edit:
Here is one of the s2000 on fire threads...S2000 Caught fire!
I completely agree. I just did mine as I said and even with the leverage of a torque wrench I had to put a lot of pressure to get it to betweeen 18-20 ft-lbs (old style wrench not click type). Granted I was doing it from under the car but regardless, a wrench of some sort is definitely needed for adequate tightness.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

hmm, Ill check I bet im getting it pretty close to the 7/8. Like any bolt, you can tell when its not enough or too much torque.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by purplemonkeydishwasher
I don't know where to get the one you have on your pictures but I recently bought mine from ebay:
It's a 3/8 drive and you can fit a torque wrench on it to get the required torque on the filter as well. Worked out great for me and it was a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the special tool from the Honda Dealer.
Diameter: 80mm
No. Flutes: 15
I was just doing a search on s2ki.com to see where to get the proper tool. I did mine hand tight but couldn't get 7/8 turn. Your post above said that the 80mm worked well. There was no problem at all with looseness? My research indicates that the OEM filter is 79mm vs the 80mm of this tool which is why I am verifying. The price is certainly much better than the Honda 79mm part ! TIA !
Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 PM

I ordered the one on Ebay...it's a keeper for sure, provide you do your own oil changes.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's what I use.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-O...A-PAAA100.aspx

I got it a couple years ago from an online parts dealer in the states (dont remember which one). Paid around $25 at the time.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM

That would be the authentic one from Honda...with shipping the price goes up and up.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 PM

I ordered the one on Ebay...it's a keeper for sure, provide you do your own oil changes.
Thanks for that input. I do all my own work, and always like buying a new tool if it makes things a bit easier. I went ahead and ordered it. I was hoping someone would say that it was adequate after some usage. I realize that the Honda OEM is probably meant to stand up to daily use by their mechanics, so was thinking that the cheaper one worked; but, maybe kust a lighter duty thing like would be OK for me.

Quick Reply: Honda Oil Filter Cap Wrench