Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Nascar

Old 02-08-2003, 11:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree 100%. As you all know, I am all NASCAR. However, the IRL grew on me bigtime last year. How about the Texas races? Awesome side-by-side finishes. I remember the championship was decided in the last race and it was a photo finish. The only way that happens in F1 is if Schumacher stops on the "lawn", grabs a Subway sandwich and waits 5 minutes for others to catch up.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my belief that most race car drivers in the world look upon F1 as THE pinnacle of all racing, and I have been a fan of F1 from 1973, I must admit that is is losing my interest because of the dominance of Ferrari. The most exciting part of an F1 race, and the part I love watching most, ist the start of the race. That first lap is hair raising. However, after that boring (in Ferrari red). The pit stops are exciting though. NASCAR and the IRL are probably the most competitive forms presently. I am looking forward to tonights show.
To Matrix, I have to say that I was and still am a big Honda fan. When Prost and Senna drove for them, it was very esciting. However, when they dominated so much, it kind of took the fun out of the series. Just like Ferrari is doing today. I'll still watch it though and am looking forward to this seaso to see what McLaren and BMW have to offer (let alone BAR).
Old 02-08-2003, 11:45 AM

Very timely article on this conversation in the 1/27/03 AutoWeek. (I'm a little behind in my reading). Check out page 6 editorial from Dutch Mandel (editor and Assoc. Publisher). The article is titled "It's Entertainment, Stupid". It talks about the changes in F1 which are designed to create more entertainment value and less Ferrari domination. He says it might be the NASCARification of F1. Anyway, the changes this year:

1) All cars will be impounded between qualifying and the start of the race.
2) Spare cars are no longer allowed
3) Traction control is not allowed
4) Neither is launch control
5) No automatic trannys
6) No radio waves ( no telemetry from the car to the pits and back)
7) No radio communication

Maybe there is hope for this series. Here is my favorite quote: "Since no racing was part of the sport, it required change. Formula One was a parade, with floats crafted of carbon fiber, electronics and unobtanium, whose procession prompted a worldwide nap." Couldn't have said it better. You might say, "it's only one man's opinion", but it's not. F1 (Bernie et al) are making these changes for a reason. Weigh in F1 fans...
Old 02-08-2003, 12:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]Oh yeah, there are none of those pussy gravel traps or big wide tarmac run-off aprons when they make a mistake.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:14 PM

BTW, NASCAR can't hold a candle to WRC in terms of big balled drivers. WRC, F1 and some GT and Speedvision cup racing thrown in and I'm good to go. NASCAR adds nothing but redneck charm to that mix.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]BTW, NASCAR can't hold a candle to WRC in terms of big balled drivers.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:48 PM

As an engineer, I want to see the best cars on display with the best drivers, period.

Dude, I'm sorry, but I just find NASCAR painful as all hell to watch, passing or not. A racetrack is not a superhighway wide stretch of asphalt with 4 left turns.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]As an engineer, I want to see the best cars on display with the best drivers, period.

Dude, I'm sorry, but I just find NASCAR painful as all hell to watch, passing or not.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Hardtopguy
Have you watched some of the Formula 3000 races on speed channel? How about Formula Atlantic? Put drivers in as close to equal cars as possible and let them go. THAT"S RACING. Leave it all up to the drivers and lets see who wins.
Who is this question directed at? If it's directed at me the answer is yes. I would watch guys race refrigerators if it were competitive side-by-side racing. One thing NASCAR has going are the personalities. Love 'em or hate 'em, that's part of the entertainment value. Example: Rusty Wallace interview after Jeff Gordon punted him out of the way last year on the last lap at Bristol. Those events are 1/2 the fun.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:14 PM

Time to sign off boys. 47 minutes to racin'!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Nascar