Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

NASCAR at Mosport?

Old 03-24-2005, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASCAR at Mosport?

It'll take a bit of money to upgrade Mosport to handle a NASCAR-sized crowd. And the terrain sucks ass for putting up grandstands, although they did it back in the 60s. I think at the end of the day they'll just go with Montreal.

--------

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/S...971112-sun.html

Mosport circuit the front-runner for NASCAR race

By DEAN MCNULTY, TORONTO SUN

TORONTO HAS leap-frogged Montreal to become the leading candidate to land a NASCAR stock car race as soon as 2006. A group of NASCAR executives met Tuesday in Daytona Beach, Fla., to map out an expansion strategy that includes a meeting in Toronto sometime this spring with Myles Brandt, president and general manager of Ontario's Mosport International Raceway.

Brandt confirmed that NASCAR bosses are serious about a race at Mosport's four-kilometre road course in Bowmanville, just 78 km east of downtown Toronto.

Robbie Weiss, NASCAR's top international executive, told The Toronto Sun earlier this week that an existing road course -- like the one at Mosport -- could be a target for the world's most popular stock car series in 2006.

Brandt said yesterday he already has had meetings with Weiss and other NASCAR officials about Mosport.

"They have actually already been to Mosport," Brandt said. "And within the next 30 to 90 days they are going to be back to take another look at the track."

Brandt said that NASCAR's needs for a big track with long straightaways and good sightlines for fans describes Mosport to a tee.

"It is a world-class race track," Brandt said. "We already host the top sports car series in North America -- the American Le Mans Series, the Grand Am series, the Honda Michelin Series -- every season."

The key to making Mosport a favourite over Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve with NASCAR, however, is the flexibility it has to play host to a race from the Nextel Cup, Busch Grand National or Craftsman Truck series.

The contract between Grand Prix promoter Normand Legault and the city of Montreal, which owns the track, limits its use to twice a year -- once for the Canadian Grand Prix and once for the Champ Car Molson Indy Montreal.

While speculation has been rampant that Legault would dump Champ Car in favour of a NASCAR Nextel Cup race, he might not do so for a Busch or Craftsman Truck race.

"Mosport would be ready to host any of the three top NASCAR series," Brandt said.

NASCAR made its first foray outside of continental U.S. this season when the Busch series raced in Mexico City to huge crowds and great reviews.

"We could match that," Brandt said, adding grandstands could be built at the track.

Mosport got a political boost for its NASCAR bid yesterday when Durham Regional Council voted to throw its support behind efforts to land a race at the local track.

While the motion did not include a dollar figure for any financial support for Mosport's bid, Brandt said it was a step in the right direction.

"Any help we can get will show NASCAR we are supported by the community," Brandt said.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are also looking at expanding NASCAR over in Europe as well

more jackets and hats to sell i guess ?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:29 AM

I don't know if there are that many hillbilly's support a Nascar race at Mosport!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by hapa,Mar 24 2005, 02:29 PM
I don't know if there are that many hillbilly's support a Nascar race at Mosport!
You ever been to Oshawa?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 1,147 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by hapa,Mar 24 2005, 02:29 PM
Hahaha I work in the next county east of Mosport and I can assure you there are plenty of hillbilly's there (and northward) that would be happy to attend. Could they afford it might be a better question.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:42 AM

actually, the NASCAR following do have hundreds and maybe thousands in droves attending races all over north america.. included open wheeled..

you'd find them taking over complete GOLD sections at the Cdn. GP..

they get around.. as they are not only nascar -centric.. they are folks that really like "auto-racing" in general
Old 03-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

They go RVing
Old 03-24-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by shareall,Mar 24 2005, 02:37 PM
Hahaha I work in the next county east of Mosport and I can assure you there are plenty of hillbilly's there (and northward) that would be happy to attend. Could they afford it might be a better question.
Including yourself?

Yeah, i don't see this happening at all. The track will not pass.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:57 AM

send 'em to Calabogie.. OOOOOOoooooooooooooooohh

that'll pass, wouldn't it ?

discuss
Old 03-24-2005, 10:58 AM

I can already picture a big Budweiser billboard where the Canada Tourism sign used to be at the Moss Corner.

Quick Reply: NASCAR at Mosport?