Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Need some help in upgrading audio system

Old 02-19-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help in upgrading audio system

So i know absolutely nothing when it comes to audio systems nor have i ever needed to due to the fact that every other car i owned came with a decent sounding stock system.

i have an aftermarket HU and i was wondering if anybody had any suggestion on a speaker upgrade (not really looking to install subwoofers or amps)? Not looking for anything crazy just a bit better sound quality. Car is an 01.

any help is appreciated!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

I swapped my speakers out with some Polk Audio db6501 components... There was some improvement but if you want to listen to some music with the top down, you'd be turning it up to a point where the sound distorts. Honestly I think they were worth the 70 bucks I paid for them last boxing day but when I sit in my camry, the stock system is just so much better...

If you don't want to add an amp, I would say try some Alpine Type S components or if youre down to spend a little more for some better clarity get the type R's.

if you dont mind adding an amp in, Id recommend one for some better quality.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Polk Audio db6501 are pretty common component set to go with sound good for the price.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 PM

thanks guys what size would ineed to go with? and id assume i would need some sort of honda adapter for install.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 3,394 Likes on 2,464 Posts

I didn't have a need for amps or subs but the factory setup is too weak for a car with this much road noise, top up or down.

A nice upgrade I made was adding some rear speakers, they aren't very big or powerful but add some much needed balance with extra sound in the rear. The location of the front speakers doesn't project sound very well in this car. I replaced the front speakers with a set of components, and I have a Sony head unit.

Also, I did the modifry upgrade so the radio controls would work with the new HU, but you also get speed variable volume with the Modifry unit which is a great feature. The speed variable volume is a real nice feature to help overcome road noise as speed increases, top up or top down.

Here are the rear speakers I added, cheap and relatively easy upgrade - 4- inch 3-way Kenwood speakers

e
Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM

so somthing like that
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-SPR-5...item519c015865

or even this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALPINE-S...item27c31c71c2

would work well with an aftermarket HU and no amp?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Regardless of adding the rears or not, I would definitely updgrade the door speakers.. They need to be 6.5 inches.

im not sure if the 5.25 inch speakers would fit in the space behind the seats
im about to install a pair of speakers behind there.. went with a pair of 4 inch speakers as well.. noname brand cost me like 8 dollars .. just wanted to see whether they would fit and if I could do it in the first place.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I added a set of type R components. Sounds great and has good bass but they love power so I'd say an amp is a must.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Regardless of adding the rears or not, I would definitely updgrade the door speakers.. They need to be 6.5 inches.

im not sure if the 5.25 inch speakers would fit in the space behind the seats
im about to install a pair of speakers behind there.. went with a pair of 4 inch speakers as well.. noname brand cost me like 8 dollars .. just wanted to see whether they would fit and if I could do it in the first place.
so the door speakers are 6.5 inch?

does anyone know if the 6.5 inch alpine type s require spacers? or any modification for install?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Like others have said, in an open top car its kinda tough to get enough sound to fill the open air, and not only that the speaker position is terrible since its blocked by your leg. I upgraded to Type-S and car has an Alpine deck. The Type-S screw in, you just need to modify the speaker basket a little bit. Sound is improved, they still will distort at high enough volume however. I may experiment with some sound deadening in the doors this spring...but then I think its an open top car Listen to that engine/exhaust note instead

Quick Reply: Need some help in upgrading audio system