Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

new Ontario law???

Old 12-17-2002, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Ontario law???

Does anyone heard about that Ontario is going to set up some new law for modify car because to many accident out there?? it says car will be towed and fine if police find out the output of the car has been modify. Which means muffler, turbo, intake, etc.... all are illegal.
i just heard that from one of my my friend, he says the law haven't start yet, but going to start soon

anyone here heard about that???

Old 12-17-2002, 04:11 PM

No, I have never heard about that. It doesnt make any sense either. I can not believe that this is true.

Now, if your car is so loud it is obscene, maybe they pull you over and tow it. Maybe if your found with slicks on, they deem the tires unsafe and they tow it; or without a cat, they consider you a polluter and dont want your car running and tow it. BUT they cant stop you from making your car faster any more than they can stop you from going out and buying a Viper, Z06, Lambo, etc...
Old 12-17-2002, 04:23 PM

I haven't heard that exactly, I have heard they will be nailing people with heavy tint's and NOS will be illegal.

They are cracking down on street racing like a mofo next year. Good thing if you ask me
Old 12-17-2002, 07:30 PM

Yep, Vince is right. It's a pretty stupid law. Shit like regulating window tint and no left lane hogs. If those idiot beauracrats actually checked existing laws before introducing new ones, they would realise that window tint is already regulated and sitting in the left lane except to pass is illegal. Since they don't enforce this shit already, there is no reason to think why they'd start enforcing it in the future.

As for the NOS issue, I've already dispatched a letter to SEMA giving them a head's up. They may decide to take it to court. They have in the past on crap like this.

All NOS does is make a slow-ass car a little less slow.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:37 PM

Exaclty on the left lane hog and tint issue.. Laws are already there, why are we creating new ones? Also the 48 impound law if you are deemed to have been street racing. That's a bit of an open ended statement.. I'd like to see strict defn of "street racing" and have cops adhere to that. Riiiight..
Old 12-17-2002, 08:59 PM

i do not like street racing, cos i had an experience that almost crashed by 2 street racing cars on HW 7.

cops should pay more attention on that, not to someone like to who modify their cars or make their cars look nice
Old 12-17-2002, 09:38 PM

The tint law is reasonable, it is there to protect our protectors. But as for modifying car regulations, who has the time to crack down all those ricers out there? Shouldn't they be catching the dude who tried to jack my Mini? Or catch those Talibans that are rampaging our streets?
Old 12-17-2002, 10:37 PM

Right, i would more worry about somebody break our car and beacuse of jealousy, make some scratchs on our car. when we go to the police station report to the police what happened, they said you just fill the form then u can leave, should the police pay more attention on something like that???
Old 12-18-2002, 12:29 AM

I think this is just a publicity stunt to make it look like the gov't. is doing something about these "recent" problems (when in fact its been around for so long) ...

Remember last summer (or was it the year before) when they were on a serious "crack down" on people caught at a dead stop, blocking traffic right in the middle of an intersection on downtown streets? cars are still doing that now and i don't see a single cop writing out tickets.

As for the tinting law (no tint on the front windshield, no darker than 35% on the front sides, and i think its no darker than 5% in the back side and back window) that's already been around so drawing this up in another bill seems like a moot point.

I foresee cops pulling over people with problematic tints for several months then its back to not doing anything as usual.

As for not allowing mods, can some of the cops even tell? the moment they see a shiny intake tube, they already think its hooked up to nitrous ... and how will they ever tell if your motor is "done up" can they really tell you have cam and piston work done just by looking at the outside of your motor? hearing it @ idle, maybe ... but do they have the knowledge?

Then again, those w/ "real mods" probably have the most stock looking cars (afterall, function over form) and so the cops won't even give you a second glance. This legislation is probably to weed out those ricers that are buzzing around in their loud and obnoxious exhausts...

What I like to see is:

- stiffer penalties for handicap spots abuse (which is in effect , but again how long will this "crack down" last?)

- sniffer patrol actually taking cars off the road that are in obvious poor condition (black smoke coming out, exhaust system falling apart) ... i fail to see that a 5 yr. car that just exceeds the emission limits by a bit is more harmful than a 15 yr. car blowing out black smoke and sputtering on our streets .. yet these 15 yr. old POSes are still puttering around wasting gas and polluting our air....

ah well, your tax $$$ at work people
Old 12-18-2002, 08:58 AM

Ontario is trying to make the use of Nitrous in vehicles on public roads illegal.

The tint law has been in place for a long time.

Street racing is illegal and has been for a long time - I'm glad they are cracking down on that.

What REALLY bugs me is that the Gov't is willing to put money and resources into providing needles and a "safe", supervised place for crack-heads and heroin addicts to shoot up, while instead of busting drug addicts who are killing and robbing people to get cash for their next fix, the cops are out there trying to stop people from customizing their rides. Priorities - what a ing joke.

I say we provide these drug addicts with a place to shoot up, but instead of supervision in case they OD - we should help them OD. Then after the drug addicts crack out and die, incinerate the bodies and use the energy to produce electricity for resale. The funds should then go to building and operating a local race track.

Pfft.

Quick Reply: new Ontario law???