Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Next DD? CX5 vs Qashqai vs Crosstrek

Old 12-21-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

ok, maybe this is a little off the beaten path...but I've found a manual shift 2008 Porsche Cayenne with 137K kms. looks to be properly maintained with krown regularly, new winter and summer tires for $19,000 near fort Erie.

is this a very bad idea? I've never owned a P car, but...am I in for a world of pain?

darcy
Old 12-21-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,453 Posts

In my quest for the "next" project car I was looking at many Porsches. In my search I was amazed how cheap the Porsche Cayennes are on the used market, they must have depreciated like 90 percent in a very short period of time. I don't know what that is all about, if it is poor reliability, poor fuel economy, high insurance or high maintenance costs, but they are dirt cheap and there must be a reason for it. There is also a ton of them for sale out there, more than any other Porsche model when searching for used. You can find some under $10k. I've never known anyone who has owned one, nor have I ever driven one or rode in one. They do interest me, but seem a tad large in size for what I would ever need, so I cant really say how they are in terms of ownership. At $19k you can't stand to lose much , unless they continue to depreciate like an anchor. If the price has bottomed out then you can't beat having a Porsche for so little dough and someone else has taken the hit on depreciation. They are definitely the cheapest Porsche you can buy these days in the used market. The question is why ?
Old 12-22-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
In my quest for the "next" project car I was looking at many Porsches. In my search I was amazed how cheap the Porsche Cayennes are on the used market, they must have depreciated like 90 percent in a very short period of time. I don't know what that is all about, if it is poor reliability, poor fuel economy, high insurance or high maintenance costs, but they are dirt cheap and there must be a reason for it. There is also a ton of them for sale out there, more than any other Porsche model when searching for used. You can find some under $10k. I've never known anyone who has owned one, nor have I ever driven one or rode in one. They do interest me, but seem a tad large in size for what I would ever need, so I cant really say how they are in terms of ownership. At $19k you can't stand to lose much , unless they continue to depreciate like an anchor. If the price has bottomed out then you can't beat having a Porsche for so little dough and someone else has taken the hit on depreciation. They are definitely the cheapest Porsche you can buy these days in the used market. The question is why ?
I guess the why is because it would be an interesting vehicle and fits the budget- nearly no harm done money. but, for just a few dollars more, the CX5 is new with a warranty.

darcy
Old 12-22-2018, 03:07 PM

^ sorry I meant "why" as in why have the Porsche Cayennes depreciated so much, I wasn't questioning why you would want one. I think they are really cool SUV's, but they are dirt cheap in the used market and I was wondering why they are so cheap now, they have depreciated faster than your typical Porsche car.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
^ sorry I meant "why" as in why have the Porsche Cayennes depreciated so much, I wasn't questioning why you would want one. I think they are really cool SUV's, but they are dirt cheap in the used market and I was wondering why they are so cheap now, they have depreciated faster than your typical Porsche car.
oh, that makes sense. But can you imagine being the guy who paid full price, only to loose $80K over the life of the car? that hurts.
we'll go for a ride if it finds its way onto the driveway.
darcy
Old 12-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Was looking at a Cayenne to be a daily but found repair costs to be super high, even for an older vehicle.
There are a few posts on all things that fail in these cars, but the biggest pieces are brakes and tires. Both are expensive and tend to wear out quickly
Old 12-23-2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Was looking at a Cayenne to be a daily but found repair costs to be super high, even for an older vehicle.
There are a few posts on all things that fail in these cars, but the biggest pieces are brakes and tires. Both are expensive and tend to wear out quickly
One of those tires is likely as expensive as a full set of tires for a Hionda, lol, and if you have the 500 hp version they won't last long