Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Out of Country Sale

Old 05-13-2005, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of Country Sale

I hope this hasn't been discused before. If so, please guide me to the right forum.

I was just wondering if any Canadians have bought cars from the states before?

Around how much is the shipping? (yes I know everywhere is different, but I just want an estimate range)

Also how does the registration work? What about testing (eg. Out-of-province [country] testing)

If anyone have done this before, I would love some info for the questions and to see if its worth it.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth it for sure, I found a mint '03 for $30k recently, that's $30k cdn after duty, won't find anything like that in Canada. You can save a great deal.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search , PLYRS 3 imported an 04 from Ganley Honda in the US..

he's by far the most authoritative one to talk to

he's so worthy, we're building a shrine next to Customs in his honour
Old 05-13-2005, 06:39 AM
osc

www.riv.ca has a ton of stuff
Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by s2ksimon,May 13 2005, 10:00 AM
do a search , PLYRS 3 imported an 04 from Ganley Honda in the US..

he's by far the most authoritative one to talk to

he's so worthy, we're building a shrine next to Customs in his honour
Careful you give him a swelled head.... That can be easily misconscrued. Oops I meant misconstrued.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:33 PM

I was recomended here by someone else in another thread about someone who imported from Ganley Honda. I checked the riv.ca... I just have to make some calls regarding how much is it in total to move a car from US to Canada including inspection, warrenty, duty and all that...

Most people I talk to, say it's not worth it. They said with all that trouble, you'll only be saving at most 2Gs. And they said it'll take over a month to even drive it when I'm back in Canada, cause it has to be approved and everything takes time.

It'll be sad if I can only look at the car... then look at the nice weather.. then look at the car....

However these guys I talk to, they have no prior experience either. So I hope PLYRS 3 can reply to this thread.

Other S2Ki members told me not to PM him as he gets tons of PM.. so I dont want to flood his mailbox.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:54 PM
osc

here ya go... more reading for you

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...=188644&hl=drl
Old 05-15-2005, 07:09 PM

Great! Thanks for the fast reply OSC
Old 05-16-2005, 02:52 AM

Look at this

http://www.ganleyhonda.com/Search.Frame/Ho...Used.Search.htm
Old 05-16-2005, 04:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Psychoblur,May 15 2005, 10:33 PM
I was recomended here by someone else in another thread about someone who imported from Ganley Honda. I checked the riv.ca... I just have to make some calls regarding how much is it in total to move a car from US to Canada including inspection, warrenty, duty and all that...

Most people I talk to, say it's not worth it. They said with all that trouble, you'll only be saving at most 2Gs. And they said it'll take over a month to even drive it when I'm back in Canada, cause it has to be approved and everything takes time.

It'll be sad if I can only look at the car... then look at the nice weather.. then look at the car....

However these guys I talk to, they have no prior experience either. So I hope PLYRS 3 can reply to this thread.

Other S2Ki members told me not to PM him as he gets tons of PM.. so I dont want to flood his mailbox.
you save more than $2K....it's more like $10K.

the car only cost 30K down there.

30 x 1.45 = 43,500 (ALL IN!)

the best documented deal in canada was $45K before taxes.

you can drive it the minute you pay for it....ask the US dealer to provide you with a 30-day temp tag (costs 10 bucks).

all you have to do is get the DRL's installed and you can have your inspection ASAP....i think you have to have it certified (even though it's a new car) - but i can't remember now.

the key thing is to get a recall clearance letter - americna hond won't give you one, so you have to have your dealer type one up on their letterhead....

and make sure you fax US border services the MCO of the car (MCO - manufacturer's certificate of origin) 72 HOURS IN ADVANCE AT WHICHEVER BORDER CROSSING YOU'LL BE USING. this document looks it's printed on money paper - it has security features and watermarks...basically it's the car's birth certificate.

you have to fax it in advacne so they're ready for you at the border when you arrive.

oh, and one other thing - THE VEHICLE EXPORT OFFICE IS ONLY OPEN 8AM TO 4PM - i learned that the HARD way....

Quick Reply: Out of Country Sale