Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Painting the brake calipers

Old 01-17-2002, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo DoGMan, you better watch your calipers!

If I/we see they are not perfectly clean, there will be hell to pay. You can't claim to be anal and show up with dirt calipers, trust me on this. We will be watching you buddy!

I'm thinking the punishment for a dirty caliper is a complete hand wash for all the Toronto and Upstate members. Are you up to the challenge? Are you feeling lucky, dog?

Old 01-17-2002, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring it on buddy heh.

If anyones gonna have clean calipers its gonna be me

I can always take the friday off, pull the wheels and repaint the buggers too

So neener neener neeeeeener.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:15 AM

Mindcore, you have way more patience than me, 6 hours?

Triple H, thanks for the great feedback. I am using the Folia Tec. I am taking the car to my dealership and removing the tires, cleaning the calipers and doing it right. This should give it the profesionnal look.

The car has not been to the track yet so I don't expect it to fade or peel of soon. My dealership has agreed to do it (after much persuassion, it helps that my service rep owns an S2000) and I will pay their hourly rate.

Now all I need is a dry mild day to take it in. Keep you posted when it is completed. Thanks everyone for great feedback on the topic.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:06 PM
Former Moderator

If you are going to the expense of having them do it, consider grinding down the cast marks while you're at it. They are fairly uneven, I've seen some where the time was put in with a dremel tool and the reults were very nice.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:20 PM

thanks, I will suggest it.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dgivelos - good luck, and remember, we expect pictures!
I must admit it is a bit of work but I think the results are worth it.
I'm still on the fence; I might go with silver or black. I will be painting the wheels a dark grey and the black might be the thing for me. I've got a Spa coming, black chrome option and I plan to do some serious detailing with black. Every car and truck I have ever owned I have customized with paint, highlighting the details of the shape.
The Folia Tec is good stuff. I think I did the fronts with three coats, being patient to let each coat really dry before I added another. Also, some of the roughness of the caliper will be diminished as the paint sort of fills in the grooves.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

So who is the nice guy that will help me do mine this summer?? I think it looks great, but couldn't spend the time not driving this past summer to do it (new owner syndrom). I promise to cook dinner for whoever helps me....fair trade?

Thanks,
Lesley
Old 01-18-2002, 06:12 PM

Triple H, I will take some snaps once completed and post them. Hopefully we will do it right. Getting a lot of good suggestions from the forum. If the weather is mild next week I will book a time at the dealership and drive it in.

Lesley,

I make take you up on the dinner offer. Let's see how mine turn out first.

Cheers all,

Don
Old 01-18-2002, 06:28 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Don,
btw, happy belated birthday!! HOwever, you conveniently neglected to post the year in which you were born...? Hope it was a good one.

Lesley
Old 01-18-2002, 07:08 PM

Thanks Lesley for the belated birthday wishes. Well now, the year I was born? it would have to be somewhere in the late 50's, however,since I got my S, I feel like it was more in the 70's. Needless to say, forever young at heart and spirit.

Quick Reply: Painting the brake calipers