Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Possible theft?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible theft?

So as some of you know i work at costco. I was always scared to leave my car outside in the parking lot considering that there is theft on a monthly basis in that parking lot. I park around the back infront of a camera and tell the buggy boys to watch my car and occasionally buy them a coffe or such in return. Sure enough today one of the buggy boys comes running inside. telling me that someone is in the back walking around my car, touching the hood and looking inside. I sprint outside turn the corner and sure enough i see an older man in his 40's taking pictures of my car. As soon as he sees me he starts walking around the back of the store. I followed him there yelled at him to stop and asked him what the hell he was doing. His exact words were "my son likes this car and i wanted to show him what they look like" in broken english. I told him to use google and get the **** off the property. He didnt even leave in a car... he walked around to the front.

I walked inside angry as hell... there was handprints all over the car. Told my buddy what happened and he informed me that he has heard that thieves usually take pictures of the cars they want to steal before they take them to find out the market value.

I dont even know if il be leaving my car parked out there again.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goddamnn...boonies is still an option! LMAO jkjk

Oh and dude was just thinking usually people who admire your car stick around and ask stupid questions they don't run away when they see the owner...I definitely wouldn't leave your car there anymore...
Old 04-28-2010, 01:05 PM

fine... il move in with you but your gf has to hook me up with one of her hot friends
Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 PM

too bad you didn't get a pic of the guy - would help if anything were to happen w/ your car *knock on wood*

btw, do you guys cover up the VIN on the dash? i keep a business card over so people can't do a reverse look up and find out where i live / park my car.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by hyper,Apr 28 2010, 05:27 PM
too bad you didn't get a pic of the guy - would help if anything were to happen w/ your car *knock on wood*

btw, do you guys cover up the VIN on the dash? i keep a business card over so people can't do a reverse look up and find out where i live / park my car.
hmmmmmm if you don't mind me asking which cosco do you work at? So i know not to park my car there either
Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David_T,Apr 28 2010, 05:42 PM
hmmmmmm if you don't mind me asking which cosco do you work at? So i know not to park my car there either
Are you really serious?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Did he use a camera? or just his phone? Be kinda weird if he was walking around a parking lot with a camera.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:09 PM

saw it from far ... i think it was a real camera
Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I think I know what he was up to, if your S2000 is in really good condition.

He likely took a picture of your car and got your VIN number (if it isn't covered up). He then will post an add in Auto Trader or similar places advertising it for sale for a crazy low price. People will reply to his add and he will send them a phony email from Ebay Motors and sucker someone to send him a money order for a car that is not in his possession.

When I was looking to buy an S2000 there was a beautiful silverstone advertised for $10,000 in Auto trader, the guy had the VIN number posted and he gave me his name and address. If I was to do a carfax search on the car it would likely have come back as being fine as the car he chose for the scam was mint.

As soon as I seemed interested in the car he sent me an email with an Ebay Motors link asking for a money order to be sent to him. The Ebay Motors link looked super authentic. After searching the real Ebay site I found out that it was a scam, I tracked down the people living at the address he gave me and he didn't exist at the address. Ended up telling the guy to go **** himself and I reported him to Auto Trader.

I'm willing to bet a picture of your car will end up in some auto trader or similar sale location. If they got your VIN number it will be used to create a scam.

That guy wasn't likely an auto theif, but he was out generating leads for a scam setup, hence the camera. I wouldnt be surprised if a picture of your car ends up in Auto Trader or Kijijii, or Ebay or something like that.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Apr 28 2010, 05:46 PM
Are you really serious?
HAHAHA nahh man i don't park my car at any shopping malls haha
chill bro!

Quick Reply: Possible theft?