Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Powder coating stock wheels

Old 05-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coating stock wheels

Can anyone recommend a place to get stock wheels powder coated?

I need somewhere that can do colours (not just black or bronze). There's prolly lots of them, but I want to find somewhere that won't screw it up
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM

I've heard that powder coating certain rims isn't recommended because the high heat can weaken the rims. Collision networks does lots of wheel repair and refinishing and I can attest to the quality work. Steve or Andrew 905-669-1665. You can mention you got their number from Vince with the white porsche.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM

Just do us all a favor and sell the car.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:29 AM

damn ricers.

dude, your hat looks a little bit too straight, go back and sideways that shiet!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by needans2k,May 22 2007, 10:31 PM
I've heard that powder coating certain rims isn't recommended because the high heat can weaken the rims. Collision networks does lots of wheel repair and refinishing and I can attest to the quality work. Steve or Andrew 905-669-1665. You can mention you got their number from Vince with the white porsche.
Thank you to the only person who provided some help!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Definitely powdercoat them. Almost all of Volks wheels are powdercoated except the Time Attacks. I just had my CE28's powdercoated and they came out very nice.

Make sure the place chemically removes the old colour and doesn't sandblast them.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Former Moderator

Check with Doug...TripleH. He had his rims powdercoated 2 colors.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3 sets of powdercoated wheels, 2 sets of OEM 16" S wheels and the ones on my CRX-SiR, I think I have some 1st hand experience with this stuff.

The rims will need to be sandblasted, or bead blasted, the differnce is beads are plastic and they rough up the surface a bit less, I prefer a very light sandblast because it gives the powder a bit more to grab onto.

Colors are virtually unlimited, my guy has something like 500 to choose from, and I swear, 100 of them are all shades of grey and silver...

The finish is indeed baked on, and of course if you have some idiot running the oven and does not know what they are doing, sure you could effect the metalurgy of the wheel, but to flat out say powdercoating is bad is unfair and biased. The key here is you need to do some research on the vendor and trust me, if you find someone with an unusually low price, remember - you get what ya pay for.

The other random thought with powdercoating, it does, if done the way I spec my wheels have quite a thickness to it. The inner face of the OEM Honda wheel fits up to the hubs virtually perfect. I have always had to sand off/dremel off the powdercoating on the wheels inner face to the wheel once again fits over the hub, no biggie. In addition, the bottom of the lug nut holes should be sanded or dremelled, this will create a less slick surface and the lug nuts will stay torqued better.

Oh, one other thing, remember, the plastic center cap cannot be powdercoated, so you will need to paint it, or leave it as I did on the 2 sets of Grey Sparkles shown below.

OEM 16" Black with Near Chrome- street tires

OEM 16" Grey Sparkle- track rain tires

MSW 14" Grey Sparkle- my S2000 and my CRX-SiR have matching wheels, just because I could

Old 05-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by THEOLDMAN,May 23 2007, 12:42 PM
Check with Doug...TripleH. He had his rims powdercoated 2 colors.
Al!

I can't help with vendor suggestions, but as Al mentioned, I can help with questions if you have them. Powdercoating is the way to go, painting a wheel is just wasteful, unless of course you don't care how long they look good.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by rioja,May 23 2007, 11:49 AM
Thank you to the only person who provided some help!
Breath deep my young wound up too tight friend...

Quick Reply: Powder coating stock wheels