Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area
View Poll Results: Are you in favor of the proposed toll on DVP and Gardiner?
Yes
36.84%
No
52.63%
Don't Care
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Proposed Tolls on DVP and Gardiner

Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proposed Tolls on DVP and Gardiner

Proposed Tolls

Everyone probably heard of this already, its just going to make things worse, people will just use other roads to get downtown, making every other road jammed. So every suburb city should start tolling their roads for non residents then aswell? So stupid.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This probably won't happen.
Just like the proposed de-amalgamation.
Just like the proposed waterfront community housing.
Just like the many other things you will hear about in the next couple of days from the Toronto city council.
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a toll on the dvp, as I'm only on it in my work vehicle.
Could you imagine the gridlock on Leslie/bayview/Vic park/pharmacy?! City hall would be burnt down! Oh wait... No it wouldn't, were canadian.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I think an express toll lane would work, otherwise they would need to do something like London's congestion charge, where you get automatically charged once you cross a certain boundary M-F 9-5 (unless you live inside the area obviously)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in Halton region but my opinion is:

If you work in Toronto, you should live in Toronto. It saves time, saves your car, saves the enviroment, saves gas, reduces traffic, reduces accidents, reduces stress etc.

You don't want to live in Toronto because you like the suburbs better and you still want to drive to work? No problem, pay a toll or congestion charge because you are the reason the roads are jammed. At least that way they have money to build more roads or expansions. I stopped going to Toronto alltogether because of the gridlock.

I know the core is insanely expensive to live, (offset is lower vehicle costs and higher resale value) but there are tons of nice affordable places in the 416. Besides, the 905 isn't cheap either.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the DVP daily, and if I had to pay for it I would have to stop driving... Both who said yes dont live in Toronto.

Edit: Afzan and fenix said yes so above statement goes out the window!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live Downtown and I work downtown. It would be nice to have the option of making it to a store or an appointment uptown. I'm never able to make it to anything after work becuase traffic is so bad.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 PM

The tolls will cause some companies to move from the Toronto-downtown-core to suburb area. In the end, Toronto will probably lose more money than it will earn.
Toronto already has other tax-grabs, such as the land-transfer tax.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We gotta just be more like this cat, willing to hand over money

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 AM

To be honest, its no bid deal. All depends on the price. If prices are anywhere close to 407ETR prices, then that may become a problem for a LOT of people. The 407 damn expensive to use.

For something like what they have in some of the states on some of the interstates I think is a good idea. I do not live in the 416, but that only forces me to use the freeways more often to get places if anything.

If tolls mean more highways and less traffic, I am good with this.

The idea that those who work in Toronto should live in Toronto is unreal. There is not enough place for us all to suddenly move back to Toronto.

No company is going to leave TO because of this - let's be real here. For companies this is nothing else but another tax write off. Yes it will make people think twice before driving to work every day for sure. Maybe the public transit will expand as a direct result as its usage will go up even higher.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't happening. They voted against it.

Quick Reply: Proposed Tolls on DVP and Gardiner