Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

question about lapping days/cscs

Old 09-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about lapping days/cscs

I've been lapping a few times now, and every time I've been told to only pass off of the racing line on the straights, to me that seems more dangerous. almost hit someone last time at cayuga because as I was coming around the last bend onto the straight, I was following someone else pretty close to their bumper, couldn't see around them, and at the last second he cut around the car in front of him, and I almost hit the guy. I also almost got hit a few times like that too.
People let me pass on the racing line a few times in the past, and every time it feels much safer than passing off line.

to me, it makes more sense that if you're in the way to use the part of the track that's not being used, no?

Anyone know specifically why we're told to pass off of the racing line?

as one example dude in a porsche almost ate the dirt because he passed me off the racing line and had to take the corner at an awkward angle.
https://youtu.be/vlSd-ilIqmc?t=7m30s
Old 09-02-2015, 11:01 AM

You always stay on the racing line unless you're passing.

If you didn't know who/what was in front of the guy ahead of you, then you need to pay better attention.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by C63AMG

If you didn't know who/what was in front of the guy ahead of you, then you need to pay better attention.
usually I am pretty aware. I knew there was a car two cars up, I just didn't know he was doing 40km/h down the back straight until I almost ate his ass because I couldn't see in front of the car in front of me.

i'm just wondering why we pass off racing line, to me it doesn't make sense when there's lots of track not being used to just drive slower.

here's another example, just a giant clusterf*** of cars, because nobody knew who was passing who.
https://youtu.be/vlSd-ilIqmc?t=10m20s
Old 09-02-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A. Dos Santos
Originally Posted by C63AMG' timestamp='1441220463' post='23734886

usually I am pretty aware. I knew there was a car two cars up, I just didn't know he was doing 40km/h down the back straight until I almost ate his ass because I couldn't see in front of the car in front of me.

i'm just wondering why we pass off racing line, to me it doesn't make sense when there's lots of track not being used to just drive slower.

here's another example, just a giant clusterf*** of cars, because nobody knew who was passing who.
For a start, it's not a RACE.
Lapping days are just that, lapping at a pace which is safe and within your capabilities.
Sure, you can begin to explore the limits of your car and yourself, but most folks still need to drive their car home and go to work the next day, so if in doubt, slow down.
Keep your eyes up and look down the track.
Slower cars should always stay on the racing line and not move about.
If you are clearly faster, it is up to the slower driver to signal you by.
However, do not pass until you get that signal.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkman199
Originally Posted by A. Dos Santos' timestamp='1441220964' post='23734895
[quote name='C63AMG' timestamp='1441220463' post='23734886']

For a start, it's not a RACE.
Lapping days are just that, lapping at a pace which is safe and within your capabilities.
Sure, you can begin to explore the limits of your car and yourself, but most folks still need to drive their car home and go to work the next day, so if in doubt, slow down.
Keep your eyes up and look down the track.
Slower cars should always stay on the racing line and not move about.
If you are clearly faster, it is up to the slower driver to signal you by.
However, do not pass until you get that signal.
[/quote]
Old 09-02-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche guy looked like he was racing for the million dollar sponsorship title. I wonder when a love tap will put him in place as he has the most to lose.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You hardly gave that guy in the Porsche any time or space to pass you, he essentially had no other choice but to almost eat dirt. Just my 2 cents on the Porsche pass.

C63AMG is right, be more aware of what is around you. Where are your eyes looking? 5 feet ahead of you only? You can easily see while going around a corner, if there are more cars ahead of the car infront of you. If you're not going warp speed around the corner, you have time to look what is ahead of him and see what you're up against in your pass.

Why pass off the racing line? Because if you're the faster car, it's more likely that you are the better driver (but not always). Why would you want the driver who isn't as good to be moving out of the way and creating chaos on the track? When the (likely) more experienced driver knows what they are doing, and can make the pass (hopefully) smooth.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FluKy15
You hardly gave that guy in the Porsche any time or space to pass you, he essentially had no other choice but to almost eat dirt. Just my 2 cents on the Porsche pass.
The Porshe guy should've waved off the pass and passed on the next straight. Just bc you're given a point-by doesn't mean you have to take it.

Having good vision should eliminate a lot of this, but even then, the rule is you shouldn't pass unless you get a point by. Period.

In looking at your vids, a HUGE problem I see is that lack of any clear point bys and then guys passing anyway (see Miata)! That's a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, not that uncommon when you have inexperienced drivers and absent marshaling. I also hate signalling point bys bc at dusk or in weird light conditions, you can't see that clearly. I prefer see the arm stick out the window.

Also, welcome to evening sessions at TMP.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, as for passing off the racing line, honestly, I can see arguments for passing on or off the line but the convention is off the line, and as long as that's consistent, everyone should be safe.

I've been to lapping days where the slow car is ask to move OFF the racing line (see Ian Law Racing), and it always confuses the heck out of me, but if it's done early, it's more fun for the faster car bc you can keep your momentum going.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP: What event was this?

Quick Reply: question about lapping days/cscs