Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Recommend Tires?

Old 01-15-2003, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jackson1628
[B]can we use different front & rear tires???

my front tires are in good condition, but my rear are worn.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Former Moderator

I tried the S-03's before..about a week later I took them back for the OEM S-02's Not having tried any others, I can at least say the S-02's are the best tires I've tried

Unfortuantly, my freind that ran firestone doesn't work there anymore, and my gravy train of tires has run out

Luckily a few got some tires in before he left.

One thing you should know, that they don't advertise, is that you can try any Bridgestone tire for 30 days, or a certian amount of KM, and swap them for something else if you don't like them.

Might make things a little easier for you
Old 01-16-2003, 05:20 AM

I'm just tossing this out for opinions, so here goes. At the track, I've found that, for street tires, the S-02's pretty much do have the best ultimate grip for the car, but they overheat and go off really really fast. Once they do start going, their grip gets much worse and I suspect that overall a more consistent tire would fare better over the course of 10-12 laps (at my local track, Gingerman).

Another downside to this is that when they start going away (about 4 laps again at Gingerman which is 1.88 miles, around 1:40-1:42 on street tires) is when I'm really getting into a good rhythm and would put in my best lap times. Consequently, I end up over-driving the car or going off-track trying to get my best times while the tires are starting to go south.

Experiences and opinions?
Old 01-16-2003, 02:01 PM

Sounds like you need R compounds then for the track. Street tires can only do so much for you and afaik the s02's are in the top 5 summer performance tires. Has anyone tried Michelin Pilots, KD's, or Pirelli P7000/Zero? Do they come in sizes for the S?
Old 01-16-2003, 06:54 PM

quick_lude,

I'd love some R compound, but I don't have a decent way to transport them for track days. Therefore I've been sticking with street tires for now.

What I was really referring to though was that the S-02's seem to go off faster and worse than some other street tires I've had experience with.

When it was time to replace my original tires, I went with a set of Yokohama AVS Intermediates. This was largely because I had very good experiences with them in the past on my CRX and Integra, but also because they were dirt cheap ($59 per corner for the rears!). At that price, I figured I couldn't lose. Even if I hated them they were so damn cheap I'd just pitch them.

What I have found is that the AVS-I's are probably 90% as good as the S-02's (based on track comparison) but they hold up better over several laps and when they do start to go off, it's not as sever.

I'm just curios to see if others have had similar experiences with the S-02's.

Clark
Old 01-17-2003, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done one school with the S, however I have some 35 schools with my CRX-Si. You really can push the S-02s very far, and yes they will be less sticky if overheated, and yes Yokohama was crazy for discontinuing the AVS Intermediates!

I will continue with the S-02s for now because I too have not gone the way of the pull behind trailer so I understand your dilemma. The one other thing I can say is that as we do more schools and develop our skill sets (not implying you are an amateur, we all can continue to develop our skill sets) we will drive smoother. The smoother the car is driven the less abuse the tire is being subjected to, thus it will not overheat as soon. I will admit, I suspect the long nature of The Glen at 3.4 miles per lap, gives me a lot more high-speed straight runs, which does help to cool the whole set-up; brakes, tires, rotors....

At this point I have not experienced the S-02s going off, however I need to also admit at my first school we had one day of constant rain, one day of on and off rain and one sunny day, and all three days were only in the 60-degree range. Nowhere near what the S-02s will be subjected to for an 80-degree school. Time will tell.