Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Record Player / Turntable

Old 04-04-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Record Player / Turntable

Audiophiles, I need your help!
I am looking for a really basic record player to listen to some old vinyls.
Are there anything that is not too vintage, and reasonably priced under $100 or around $50? Used or new - working condition.

I have never used one before.... can someone give me some instruction on how to properly operation one of these? I think these were obsolete when I was born, so I don't have much experience with them...

Thanks in advance

BTW:

I have this exact one at home, that doesn't have wirings

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...9&category=1442

know anyone that can help me fix it?
Old 04-04-2004, 05:48 PM

What, the wires were cut off?? If you can splice them up.

I'm going to assume that you are using a modern receiver in you system. You will have to check to see if it has an on board "phono pre-amp". If it does you are in business. Plug it in a start her up!

If you don't have a phono pre-amp you can pick these up (cheap ones) for $100.00 or so.

Simplest thing to do might be to take your turntable into someone like Bay Bloor Radio, or any other store that can service antiques, have them set the unit up. Replace wiring, check the cartridge and the stylus condition etc. If the unit is really old and belt drive the belt may have to be replaced.

Enjoy! If you've never heard good vinyl your in for a surprise! Yea a little snap/crackle/pop sometimes, but beats the pants of MP3s and most cds.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup... MOTU one this one for a change..bay bloor it...if it doesn't have any wirings.. simply get the basics rca in, rca out and a ground wire.. maybe a cartridge while you're at it..

this post brings back memories of my 1200's... oh those were the days..
Old 04-04-2004, 06:27 PM

I might just give it a visit this week, I am dying to listen to the Abba and Simon and Garfunkel collections my parents have collecting dust!

Here are some info I found regarding the older player that I have, can someon translate it into something I can understand? hehe Thanks

Type: Automatic turntable

Auto start

Auto return

Auto stop

Repeat play

Drive method: Direct drive

Motor: Brushless DC motor

Turntable platter: Aluminum die-cast

Diameter 31,2 cm (12-9/32 inches)

Turntable speeds: 33-1/3 rpm and 45 rpm

Starting torque: 1kg-cm (0,87 lb-in)

Speed drift: Within + 0,002%

Wow and flutter: 0,012% WRMS

0,025% WRMS (JIS C5521)

+0,035% peak (IEC 98A Weighted)

Rumble: -56 db (IEC 98A Unweighted)

-78 db (IEC 98A Weighted)

*Tonearm section______________________________

Type: Universal tonearm

Effective length: 230mm (9-1/16")

Overhang 15 mm (19/32")

Friction: Less than 7 mg ( lateral, vertical)

Effective mass: 12g (without cartridge )

Stylus pressure
adjustment range: 0-2,5 g

Applicable cartridge
weight range: 6-9,5 g

(with shellweight ) 3-6,5 g

Headshell weight: 7,5 g
Old 04-04-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Arthur, there are several types of "record players". Do you want one that plugs into your existing stereo system or do you want one that is a stand alone with its own speakers?
Then, there are turntables with ceramic cartridges and magnetic cartridges. Some stereo systems can only play magnetic cartridged turntables.
Then, what speeds do you need? The common one is 33-1/3 rpm. But most turntables can also play 45's. If you are trying to play 78's, you will have a very hard time finding one of these. You can still buy those old style record players they used to use in schools. They will play 78's.
Check your local Bargain Finder and in garage sales. The one you've shown from ebay looks like the single disc turntable with a magnetic cartridge (needle). These usually only play 33's and 45's. They are powered by a tiny little motor that drives the table via a very thin, but long rubber belt. By now, I'm sure that belt has deteriorated and will easily break if it hasn't already. That one, you move the arm off it's holding support, move it over the edge of the record and push a release lever/button and the arm slowly drops onto the record. When done, you push the lever the other way and it lifts the arm up off the record and you manually move it back to the holding support.
You can also get automatic ones the will do all this for you. PLUS, you can get stacking record players that will play several records one at a time automatically. These will most likely be antiques and very hard to find.

Now that I've seen your specs, I wasn't far off with the exception of the part about the rubber belt drive. Yours is direct drive so you won't have to worry about that part.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:34 PM

Wow, you guys are amazing, you guys know it all!

Thanks for all your info,

I've actually managed to find an online PDF file manual that I can relate to.

http://www.nakedresource.com/library_turntables.shtml

Thanks again hehhehe.

Now, do you guys feel like listening to the song "Sounds of Silent"?
Old 04-04-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by comets
Now, do you guys feel like listening to the song "Sounds of Silent"?
I have it on CD.
Oh, and all those ABBA records? I copied those onto cassette tape and have since copied the tape onto CD. Besides, did you know that any "old" songs that you find pleasing, you can most likely find it on "LimeWire" and download it for free onto your computer? Then, when you have enough songs, you can use something like Windows Media Player 9 and convert the MP3 and burn yourself a CD.
So, play all you oldies from vinyl and write down all the ones you like and get them from LimeWire.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:47 PM

Affa, I might be able to help you re-wire it...are the wires completely missing?
Old 04-04-2004, 06:47 PM

Oh of course....

I've also found a Japanese vinyl of Barry White!!!! I can't wait to hear the vinyl.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:48 PM

ABBA! - One of Denise's favorites! We have it all on cd or mp3 if you want it that badly.

Quick Reply: Record Player / Turntable