Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area
View Poll Results: Stock or Hawk?
Stock
60.00%
Hawk HPS
40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Stock Pads for Saab...

Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Pads for Saab...

I have 0 experience with stock pads on the S2000.

So far they don't feel the greatest with long hard stops on the hwy. Around town they're fine. Now it could be due to old brake fluid since I'm not sure when it was last changed.

How many track with stock pads? How are they? I will upgrade eventually to hawk HPS f/r but these pads are basically new (replaced for safety) so I'm wondering if I should just leave them in or not.

The DDT is a short track so I'm thinking they should be ok.

I just don't want to be disappointed half way through the school.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the consensus seems to be that short tracks are harder on brakes and do not provide enough cooling time between brake applications.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:07 AM
Banned

Good point... multiple stopps over and over.

Anyone with much stock pad experience?? Doug?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he uses hawks....
Old 03-31-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Mar 31 2005, 11:06 AM
the consensus seems to be that short tracks are harder on brakes and do not provide enough cooling time between brake applications.
Although that may be true, each and every track is unique and you can not make wide sweeping generalizations against long tracks. Elevation changes and how many corners are grouped together can easily match or exceed the heat issue created on a short track with short cool down periods...
Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used my stock pads for many Saab schools - you should not have a problem with them....
Old 03-31-2005, 07:20 AM

I have used Hawk Blues and Cobalts on the S. For an all out track pad not to be used on the street the Cobalt spec-VR on the front and the spec-C on the rear is just about the best set up you will find, hands down popular winner in Racing & Competition.

For a street/track pad I suspect, although I do not know for a fact, the Hawk HPS is going to be only a little better than stock and maybe equal to the revised OEM '04 front compound. If you want to upgrade pads and still don't want to go with a full blown track pad I think you should consider the HP+ over the HPS. I ran the HP+ on my CRX-SiR for the streets, they were dusty, but they worked!

[I]HPS -
Old 03-31-2005, 07:21 AM

You were in the car with me at Beaver Run which I'd say was a short track. I was using stock pads and they were biting very well.

Mind you, I don't have a frame of reference to compair, but I'm sure you'll be fine with stock...
Old 03-31-2005, 07:24 AM

Well, you can always do better - the pad I have now, I do like better.

I thought he was asking if he HAD to change them for Shannonville....
Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 AM

Do not underestimate the OEM pads. My first school with the S was on OEM pads. I could not get the Hawk Blues in time because there was a delay in manufacturing on the rears and I do not like to mix pads front to rear. I went to the track with 3 sets of OEM front pads and 2 sets of rears. It took my 1.5 hours to consume the fronts and 3 hours to consume the rears. The pedal effort was consistent and firm, never scary. I knew the fronts were gone by the travel of the pedal.

There is no question the pads had been abused and operated at temps beyond their desired range because they were pure white and severely cracked, but they held up and worked good right up to the end. However, once they get abused this bad they should not be used on the streets because they will just mess up rotors because the pad surface will be very uneven as a characteristic of deterioration.

Quick Reply: Stock Pads for Saab...