Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Summer tire recommendations?

Old 01-04-2002, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer tire recommendations?

Yeah, yeah, I know it's a bit early to be thinking about summer tires, but when I bought my car there was a flat spot on one of the fronts and I worked out a deal with the dealer to pay the difference and have snows put on instead. So now I'm wondering what I should do when spring rolls around. Should I just get the stock tires, or is there any benefit to going with another brand? I'll be using the stock rims. This is a daily driver, so I'll need something that's at least tolerable in the rain.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 01-04-2002, 12:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When my SO2's wear out (and I don't know when that'll be), I don't plan to get them again. My car is also a daily driver and I don't need something that is that track orientated. If you do a search, you'll see lots of stories of people spinning out even with the slightest bit of moisture on the road. I'm NOT saying that this is due to the tires. You have to read the stories and judge for yourself. The OEM tires seem very expensive to me for what I use them for. Also, when you shop for tires, remember that the sizing on the SO2's are unconventional. I understand that the rear 225's are more equivalent to 245's with other makes and even within Bridgestone itself. I haven't compared prices yet, but I'm going to take a look at Michelins (one of the hi-perf, uni-directional series). I had great luck with these on my Viper. I've gone thru standing water at over 90 mph on that car without incident and they were 335's on the back.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:18 PM

If I wasn't going to replace my S02's with S02's I think I'd go with Kumho Ecstas.

They seem like a fairly close tire in respect to ability, has a water channel and longer life.

Everything I've read however is when you put the car to its limits don't expect them to be there for you like the S02's are.

I hate to put on tires that wear as quickly as the OEM, but the performance when you're pushing the car is important to me. Considering my car is a toy, not a daily driver or anything like that..when I drive it I'm going to have some fun and I want the tires to be there.

I think the fronts work out to $139 each and $169 for rears. Don't quote me on that, but I did see something close to those numbers on tiretrends.com. I'd love to use TireRack, but I can't justify the bloody expenses of importing tires and paying the conversion as well. Too bad they don't have a tirerack.ca

Vince
Old 01-04-2002, 01:54 PM

Once you have decided (I like the Yokohama AVS Sports, but am no where near buying yet and these are not meant for rain, kinda like the OEM S02s ) check out Nantucket tire in Scarborough. I have been going there for years. They have a great selection and I have always come out with a good deal.

Like DogMan said about tire rack.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:11 PM

Well, the best combo for wet and dry traction I have found is the Pirelli P7000ZR. Only problem is that it is very noisy when you spin the tires. The SO2's are practically silent. I just threw on a set of SO3's on all four corners and have yet to try them out.

I was running 215-40-17 Pirelli P7000ZR's all around on my '92 TEG w/NOS. Year round, daily driver - and during the spring thaw, those tires were GREAT (cold/wet).

Peace...
Old 01-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Former Moderator

I'm going with the Stock SO-2's again, first thing in the spring. I much prefer the superior traction to all the other benifits of other tires. It just doesn't seem right to lower the performance spec on the car... Just gotta learn to take it easy when the need arises...Rahul...
Old 01-05-2002, 07:33 AM

It's not about takin' it easy dude, it's about gettin jinxed!

DUDE. You owe me an S2000!

LOL

(I'm kidding of course, unless you are in an especially generous mood...)

PEACE
Old 01-05-2002, 10:27 AM

If you are looking for the ultimate dry traction, then go for Yokohama A032's. These things are basically a DOT approved race tire.

Also, these new Bridgestone's look pretty interesting:

Old 01-05-2002, 10:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]If you are looking for the ultimate dry traction, then go for Yokohama A032's.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:22 PM

They're R070's or something like that. Specifically designed for the new WRX STi Spec-C and just barely road legal. Don't know if they will offer them in other sizes or not.

Quick Reply: Summer tire recommendations?