Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Today.....

Old 11-29-2001, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today.....

With a proud tear in my eye, and hand on my heart, I've become a brother.
(insert national anthem -- I mean VTEC howl here)
Today I placed my order for MY 2002 black on black.

Okay, pull my head back out of the clouds.

I think I got a great deal here in the GTA!!

Here are the details, let me know your thoughts:

Car Price = 47,800
Wheel Locks = 60
Rear Spoiler = 654 (I have the option on this as I am still looking at aftermarket, but dealer will
give it to at this price until I take delivery)
PDI = 0
A/C Tax = 100
Fuel Tax = 75
Admin = 98
7YR Ext. Wrty = 1,724
Rustproofing package = 0 (includes rust proofing, diamond paint protection, upholstery protection,
soundproofing - Not sure if I want this on the car yet? Do I want this sprayed all
around if I don't drive it in the winter?)

GRAND TOTAL = 49,857 (without the rear spoiler)

What do you guys think?

How am I going to sleep until April!!!!????
Old 11-29-2001, 07:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not a bad deal but there have been guys around your area who have done better. You're about par for the course, I think. The wheel locks and the rear spoiler is a bit of a money grab. As long the rustproofing pkg is free, take it. However, with the paint protection, you may not be able to use any polishing products like Zaino and if you don't go back annually for their "touchup" (which is basically the process all over again) you'll eventually notice a decline in shine. These types of "permanent" shines don't last forever without touchups and they don't hold their shine for years either. You need to give it personalized attention if you want the shine to be outstanding all year round. Extended waranties from any manufacturer is a simple money grab.
This sure beats guys who've paid 5-10 grand over list.
Oh yeah, congrats! April's gonna be a loooong time away.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:54 PM

Xviper, I know you drive yours in the winter, did you get yours rust proofed or sound insulated? I know what you mean about the paint protection. I am not sure I am going to go for this, I just wanted to include it in the deal, then have the option to back out before getting it done. I definately wanted the opinion of some of the people on this board.

Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the car from a fellow Canadian owner. As mentioned by XViper, the wheels locks and spoiler seem a little pricey. Keep in mind that dealers often make as much as 40% on factory accessories. I wouldn't be surprised if you could knock off another $100 of the price of the spoiler and get the wheel locks for free.
Keep us posted!
Asif
Old 11-29-2001, 10:35 PM

matrix, i'm so jealous, congrats!

below msrp .. wow! WHICH DEALER???

i think you can get wheel locks (McGuard) from elsewhere (e.g. wheels direct, wheel and tire zone) for like $30

and were they only giving you the sale price below msrp if you take on the extended?

cuz I was quoted close to $57k on the road (after taxes, admin, pdi, everything) and just a bit over $60k w/ the lip and spoiler
Old 11-30-2001, 06:12 AM

Thanks guys, I know I could have gotten the wheel locks somewhere else for $30 less, but am I going to raise a fuss over this during the deal for $30, no. The wing is another story, that is why I did not order it right away.

Hyper,

No, the price of the car was the same with or without the extended warranty. I plan on keeping the car for a loonnnggg time so I thought I was better off getting it. My luck, end of 3 years....a/c goes (of course you could say end of 7 yrs....a/c goes )

Hyper, send me a pm and I will give you the dealer and contact names.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:39 AM

Matrix, glad to have you aboard.

Guys, getting the car for bellow MSRP in the 3rd year of production isn't difficult at all. Trust me get the pricing info from carcost and then walk in say you know what they pay and you'll let them make a grand or whatever on it. Walk out the door with a deal in hand and for just a touch over 49k with taxes in.

I haven't done the pricing for this year, but I would assume the dollar value of the vehicle is only a couple of hundred more than last year, all the same dealer incentives will still apply etc.

If you don't get as much info as you can to take into the dealer when you're ready to buy, you're basically burning money that you could use for your own means.

They make over 5k on these cars....we're talking Porsche sales money here.

Honda dealers are selling civics and accords for a few hundred bucks over cost all year long to bring their quotas up to get the bonuses and their allocation of S2k...one reason is it brings people into the show room...and they have nothing else in the product lineup that has the potential to bring them 5k+ a sale.

Take it from me, they will be happy with earning a grand on the car

Hell considering Honda isn't doing any 0% financing they might even be happy to make $800 heh

Remember go in, tell them what you'll pay with PROOF of what they pay and give them a good down payment on a credit card...don't screw around with $200, give them 2k on the card. They'll know you're serious and its an easy sale. Car comes in, they call you they get money. Not paying the bank for eyecandy on the floor.

And when you go in be sure to tell them about the site.

Vince
Old 11-30-2001, 07:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matrix
[B]Xviper, I know you drive yours in the winter, did you get yours rust proofed or sound insulated? I know what you mean about the paint protection.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:02 AM

Guys, getting the car for bellow MSRP in the 3rd year of production isn't difficult at all. Trust me get the pricing info from carcost and then walk in say you know what they pay and you'll let them make a grand or whatever on it. Walk out the door with a deal in hand and for just a touch over 49k with taxes in.
I would have to disagree...I walked into alot of dealerships and they still do not want to move off of MSRP. I know what the car costs the dealer it is about 44.6K, PDI/Freight is about 650. There is no way that I could get it for 49K with taxes in that would put it below their costs!!! 49K taxes in means the car is about 42K + freight/pdi, they would have laughed at me. I was just lucky to find a dealership that was serious about selling the car. Alot of dealerships do not have a 02 in stock so they do not have costs in a car sitting on the floor. They usually have an 01 on the floor, if any. So why would they care to only make 1K? No skin off their nose. I agree it's in the 3rd year of production, but how many are in the GTA...from what I can tell on this board it's still not a high volume car...especially in these times.

Maybe you got a better deal, maybe you got 49K taxes in. I just don't agree that you can just walk in with a piece of paper and think you can walk out with a great deal because the car has been in production for 3 years.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:15 AM

I don't want to sound like a not it all or anything like that. I've just had the chance to buy a lot of cars for myself and others and this has always worked. You're right, I should have prefaced that with a "Should" instead of a definative...nonetheless. Lets go back and think the strategy on a time frame.

You bought the car at the begining of the model year, no incentive to move it out the door tomorrow because there's a set of new cars coming in. This makes the bargin a bit harder to achieve, had it been me I might have waited till the snow flew, maybe January. So lets tack on say a grand.

Why would they be happy to sell the car for a grand over cost? Ask a Honda sales person that question after you take delivery, You'll be surprised. When I negotiated for my car (which took a long time) I went back and appoligized even thinking I was a bit hard on them, after it was all said and done they made a grand off me and the holdback (not applicable in your case) and they were happy.

Would I have bought the car in the GTA, no way. Too much competition for the car. I'd go to Huntsville, London etc anywhere where the demographic isn't as affluent as the GTA. They still get the car allocation based on their sales and then they have to get rid of them. Half the dealers I called this year ended up trading it to GTA dealers. You made the point of especially in these times, which is an even better reason to make the deal. Look at the used s2000 market...there are tonnes available. Its not as exclusive as we all like to think anymore.

The best weapon you have is that piece of paper, you know what they paid for it, you know the holdback etc, so you know what room you and they have to move. Are you going to get a better deal if you have the pricing, ability to make the deal today and a downpayment. The answer is yes. Work the deal with the sales manager.

If someone wants the 2002 let me try to work the deal for you...just to prove a point!

I think you did a good job in the GTA getting the car for what you did...and getting the dealer to eat the freight and PDI is sweet in itself, they usually will walk on that. You should call the dealer and find out how much the Diamondcote is costing them and have them take that value off the 7year. They do great numbers on the warranty.

Vince

Quick Reply: Today.....