Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Today.....

Old 11-30-2001, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You bought the car at the begining of the model year, no incentive to move it out the door tomorrow because there's a set of new cars coming in. This makes the bargin a bit harder to achieve, had it been me I might have waited till the snow flew, maybe January. So lets tack on say a grand.
You think I could get another grand off, by waiting a month or two? All the power to you if you can do it, but I don't think so. In order for me to have made use of your strategy, I need to wait until next winter for my 02 to deal on the 03 vs 02 model. I was never interested in an 01. I'll pay that grand for the years use.

Would I have bought the car in the GTA, no way. Too much competition for the car. I'd go to Huntsville, London etc anywhere where the demographic isn't as affluent as the GTA.
Tried London, got a better deal in the GTA. There are alot more dealers in the GTA also, so they have to be competetive also. It's a 2 way street and they also know that you can always get in your car and drive out of town for a deal. So, why would they let you do that and lose a deal? In fact I used what I got out of London, to get a deal in the GTA. They are not asleep.

You made the point of especially in these times, which is an even better reason to make the deal. Look at the used s2000 market...there are tonnes available. Its not as exclusive as we all like to think anymore.
I was not interested in an 01 and went in with the mind frame that I will have to pay for the glass window. Plus a sales rep. is not going to care if he sells used or new...dealer probably make more on the used, if you ever traded in before, you know the difference between retail and wholesale. Also would you want a used S2k when you know how important the break in is and know nothing of it's history. Not me. I understand to use it as leverage...but they can call your bluff because if your looking for a lower price... the used one will be a cheaper. So you threaten a private used deal...same thing they can call your bluff, because they know that they will not be able to compete new vs used. If you want new, you can't use a used car as a bargaining point, you can use it though to get a better price your trade in .

The best weapon you have is that piece of paper, you know what they paid for it, you know the holdback etc, so you know what room you and they have to move. Are you going to get a better deal if you have the pricing, ability to make the deal today and a downpayment. The answer is yes. Work the deal with the sales manager.
Agree with you 100% and I dealt with the General Manager, not the Sales Manager.

You should call the dealer and find out how much the Diamondcote is costing them and have them take that value off the 7year.
I got it for free already (reg. $1299), why would they give me break on the ext. warranty and also give me the protection package for free?

Dogman, please do not take this post or my previous post the wrong way...I am just disagreeing with your position. I have been doing this for a while also and my negotitation was not quick either. I am not saying that this deal will never be bettered, I know it probably can be. Hell, I hope that someone uses the numbers I posted to get themselves a better deal!!! (Hyper this is for you )

All I can say is I can't wait for my S2000 and go for my first drive with you guys.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:31 PM

Congrats Matrix on your new s2000 ride! Will be joining the brotherhood in a few months yet.
Thanks to both yourself and DogMan for your negotiation advice. It is much appreciated!
Old 11-30-2001, 06:18 PM

Personally, without a long drawn out discussion on what works better in buying a car and where, I'm just glad others are buying the cars and keeping the values high

It'll be nice to meet all the 2002 owners in the spring.

Time to park it this weekend I think....I don't know how you waiters can even stand it.

Vince
Old 11-30-2001, 06:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats!

Enjoy the TO crew! they are a blast. Also you canadian members are just a riot!
Old 12-01-2001, 12:05 PM

I'm waiting for the new budget to come out this week to see if they cut the GST on new car sales. If they do, I'm pulling the trigger. That'll be a nice 7% savings right there.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]I'm waiting for the new budget to come out this week to see if they cut the GST on new car sales.
Old 12-01-2001, 08:43 PM

There was much calling for the GST to be axed on new car sales to help encourage consumers to buy cars a few weeks ago. If such an incentive is to occur, it will have to make an appearance in the federal budget. The new budget is coming out any time now (I believe this coming week), so I am waiting to see whether or not the GST is cut on new cars. If it is I'll be happy, if not I won't be surprised.
Old 12-01-2001, 08:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

S2kRob,
Cheers for the info. I was aware of the soon to be released budget, but was not up to speed on the GST issue for new cars.
Thanks again
A