Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

UVIP values for s2000?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

My 08 CR didn't show anything for value.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2004 UVIP showed $11,000.

However, a word of advice: if you sell for exactly the UVIP value (assuming it isn't zero), it depends on the person behind the counter. I've known some cars being scrutinized for the sale value being too low and the lovely person decides to question it.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lady had a hard time figuring out what kinda of car it was, she's like what's the year "2000" what's the model "s2000" nonono the model "s2000" ok it's a 2000 Honda but what's the model... It went on for a few minutes
Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just grabbed my 2001 and uvip value was 6k
Old 10-01-2015, 04:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2jizzer
The lady had a hard time figuring out what kinda of car it was, she's like what's the year "2000" what's the model "s2000" nonono the model "s2000" ok it's a 2000 Honda but what's the model... It went on for a few minutes

Happens to me all the time, getting an etest same thing happened... I feel like we are being clear... why do they treat us like we are the one who is unaware of the vehicle....
Old 02-09-2016, 06:59 AM

For anyone who still cares, I just registered my 2002 with 91,700 km on it (US Car). The UVIP had around $10.5k retail and $7.6k wholesale.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:48 AM

To make things clear, the law states when you purchase a vehicle privately you must pay tax on either the wholesale amount (UVIP value) or the amount written on the bill of sale (last page of the UVIP), the greater of the two. You can definitely get by paying less than wholesale value by declaring a lesser value on the bill of sale but this depends entirely on the employee working at the desk. If you get an overzealous employee they will do things by the book and charge you the greater of the two. If you're lucky, they will overlook it and do what works best for you.

If you want a guarantee that you will pay less than wholesale amount you can get your car appraised and inform the appraiser of your intention. 99% of appraisers will work with you, just don't expect them to give you a $0 appraisal. This being said, I have personally dealt with several MTO employees that insisted appraisals meant nothing. Even going as far as speaking to their supervisor. If the MTO employee does not want to cut you some slack, they simply won't. It's frustrating but my advice for you at that point is to go to a different office or pay the extra amount.

Hope this clarifies things.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shamusodoofus
To make things clear, the law states when you purchase a vehicle privately you must pay tax on either the wholesale amount (UVIP value) or the amount written on the bill of sale (last page of the UVIP), the greater of the two. You can definitely get by paying less than wholesale value by declaring a lesser value on the bill of sale but this depends entirely on the employee working at the desk. If you get an overzealous employee they will do things by the book and charge you the greater of the two. If you're lucky, they will overlook it and do what works best for you.

If you want a guarantee that you will pay less than wholesale amount you can get your car appraised and inform the appraiser of your intention. 99% of appraisers will work with you, just don't expect them to give you a $0 appraisal. This being said, I have personally dealt with several MTO employees that insisted appraisals meant nothing. Even going as far as speaking to their supervisor. If the MTO employee does not want to cut you some slack, they simply won't. It's frustrating but my advice for you at that point is to go to a different office or pay the extra amount.

Hope this clarifies things.
Honestly, I hate paying anyone money but to get the car appraised at a lower price to save a few bucks on tax is NOT a good idea whatsoever. My buddy has been in 2 accidents in the last year and both cars have been written off, none of which where he was at fault. If he appraised his car low, guess what the insurance payout will be. It's the same with insurance and getting just liability to save money, in the end of the situation doesn't work in your favour you're f@#ked.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just walk out and go to another MTO
Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
I'd just walk out and go to another MTO
Go to the ones I go to.

Quick Reply: UVIP values for s2000?