Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

What would you do?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What would you do?

Warning: Long rant ahead.

So if you saw my other thread I was saying I found my next S2000. The word I used was "bought". Even when I was typing "bought" in my other thread I thought to myself that its not really bought until its in my driveway but I thought the chances of anything going wrong were slim.

Or so I thought.

So after driving to Markham and meeting the seller who seemed like a nice guy and seeing the car which tuned out to be really nice we agreed on a price. Just $500 less than his full asking PLUS I told him to keep his Alpine radio.

I always bring a deposit with me to secure the car if I decide to buy. I opened my wallet to show him the cash and said we should write up a quick receipt. He didn't have any paper to write one up.

This isn't my first rodeo so I said I wanted him to take the money. He said he trusts me, said I was a nice guy, I said I trust him too... yadda yadda... deep down I didn't like it. but again, I thought the chances of this going wrong seemed slim.
Smiled, waved, I went home.

Wouldn't you F@#$ing know it, he calls me today, sounding all nervous. He started off by saying it would take a week to pay off Honda finance.

I was like "ok, sure. No problem." But I got the feeling that's not the reason why he called.

SURE ENOUGH the next thing he said was that he had other people coming to see the car because he promised them (wtf...?) and that they wanted the car badly and would pay full price...

Now don't get me wrong. I know this F@#$ing happens all the time and I shouldn't be shocked but I would be lying if I said I can't believe how F@#$ing tight this SOB is for $500. I was polite, drove an hour, test drove it with respect and offered cash, let him keep the radio and you would think that the little bastard would say "The guy was cool and I still have my radio, I don't have to do emissions or safety, I guess I can do without the $500..."

BUT NO.

So, I told him I would like to just finish the deal on the price we talked about. He told me he would like it if I payed the extra $500 and I can keep the radio (lmfao). This just made me more angry. I told him to keep the spoiler as well because I didn't want it anyway. The F@$%er said "I don't want the hassle of selling stuff". I was boiling but somehow after one of my speeches he said ok he will get the car ready.

So yeah. I know morals don't mean jack shit in today's world, or a man's word, or honesty and cash is the only king but man I still think this was a dick F#$%ing move on his part. Honestly I would be embarrassed to call someone like he did for $500 AFTERWARDS.

Yeah, I guess I am pissed. The way I see it, don't say shit like "I trust you" if you are going to be a little bitch about $500. If you want the extra $500 so bad then man up and say the price is firm!

Rant over.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, what an idiot. You spent all this time driving over to him, making a pretty awesome offer(500 dollars off asking price without a 200-300dollar deck?) so really you only offered him 200-300 less than what he wanted.

Some people are pretty useless when it comes to selling or buying, a dude backed out of buying a cymbal from me the day he was coming to get it. He never emailed me, so I email him back, saying I'll drive the 25 minutes and bring it to him and he turns around and goes... I bought one brand new instead. I was pissed because I needed that money for an anniversary gift for my girlfriend and I's 2 year anniversary.

As long as you still got the car, still a piss of the be hassled after making a deal (my dad got screwed this way, he bought a Polaris Ranger, but 300 bucks down to secure it, the dude sells it on him! So he had to send back his 300 bucks).
Old 10-31-2010, 07:26 PM

I wonder if he gave them all test drives too? Maybe bounced a few off of 8k?

The guy sold the car even after your Dad gave a deposit? Holy shit. I'm pretty sure if your dad took him to court the other guy would lose, but not many people are willing to go that far.

You spend your life being a good guy, helping people, being honest and this is the shit you get for it. No wonder I am a cynical bastard now.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:38 PM

relax man, i know your pissed who wouldnt be? look at it this way, you couldnt drive the car much now anyways: its november. now you have a whole 5-6 months of searching to do for an even better car! shit like this happens to the best of people, and what goes around comes around.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by matt-p,Oct 31 2010, 08:38 PM
relax man, i know your pissed who wouldnt be? look at it this way, you couldnt drive the car much now anyways: its november. now you have a whole 5-6 months of searching to do for an even better car! shit like this happens to the best of people, and what goes around comes around.
He still bought the car, as far as I know... He's just upset because he didn't know he'd get hasseled by the dude.

Anyways, I still wanna see pics when you get. Now I'm upset you didn't offer him less, haha.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 AM

I would've let the other guy seen the car and asked for less once he calls you back saying the other guy backed off..... that dick!... i woulda loved to get his call back and be begged to buy his car... Im pretty sure he doesnt know how hard it is to sell his car this time of year... and for $27,000??
Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by therein60mins,Nov 1 2010, 08:48 AM
I would've let the other guy seen the car and asked for less once he calls you back saying the other guy backed off..... that dick!... i woulda loved to get his call back and be begged to buy his car... Im pretty sure he doesnt know how hard it is to sell his car this time of year... and for $27,000??

did you end up buying the car? its not really clear here but i hope you didnt after all of that bs
Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by s2kobsession,Nov 1 2010, 06:40 AM

did you end up buying the car? its not really clear here but i hope you didnt after all of that bs
During the phone call where he tried to get an extra $500 from me, he asked me if I wanted some time to think about it (lol... proabaly so he could let another 10 people drive it) and thats where I told him I just wanted the deal as we agreed.

After some discussion about why he should sell me the car like we agreed (I shouldn't even have had to explain that shit to him but anyway...) he finally said:

"ok, I will get things ready and call you in about a week after Honda finance is payed".

Coming from him, even I am not clear if I bought a car yet or not...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:48 AM

Funny how you finnaly find one you like and you have some BS to work out, haha. Once the car is in your driveway you'll be happy, probably still better than going through the BS of getting one from the states.

Also, this is now my favorite S2k that I'm currently looking at. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-c...QAdIdZ239095964

30,000kms, can come with hardtop for only 1500 more, pure stock, and APPARENTLY owned by a 70 year old.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 AM

My car is still for sale!!

Quick Reply: What would you do?