Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Wow Insurance is retarded!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pay about $100 per month for a 2005 S2K in the the summer months - have clean driving record and live in Toronto and do not drive it to work - and I'm older too post 25 yrs old. I'm with Meloche Monnex as they have been good over the years -
Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 PM

with meloche, they wanted a pre-inspection to make sure i didn't have any mods.. so i didnt go with them. if i had an unmodified s2k, i would definitely go with them. they have really good rates
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 PM

An alternative to moving out of the city is to ask a friend who lives in an insurance friendly area if you can change your drivers liscence address to their house. All your driving related mail will be sent there of course like sticker renewals, parking tickets etc... But it can save you literally thousands of dollars.

I heard the reasons your premiums may be cheaper in the S because you're more likely to be killed in an accident than say a 4 door car so the insurance company won't have to pay out long term disability to you. Kinda makes sense in a sick kind of way though. Gotta love insurance statistics!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by FluKy15
Originally Posted by sanjay' timestamp='1363873669' post='22418281
i'm in Toronto proper - M postal code

I pay 1200 a year for the S2000 (and i only drive it 6 months out of there year so i really only pay $600 or so)
Your postal code is M4 or M5 i would put money on that

Nope - M8V postal code

I am old now and have a good record with lots of other discount. (multi-car/multi-line/etc)
Many many years ago I paid $500 a month for my VW golf.

I wouldn't lie about my address for insurance - what's the point of even having it then?
If you can't afford insurance - you cannot afford the car.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Meloche Monnex quoted me $160/mth (or $150/mth if I get home insurance with them). This is with a UWO affiliation (the cheapest by far from all the affiliations I was eligible for), and this is for an M4 postal code in downtown Toronto. No questions about mods. Clean driving record. 30+ in age.

I've yet to check belair or state farm, but from research before, MM tends to be the cheapest.

Also, I would agree with Sanjay about being deceptive with your insurance company. Any evidence of fraud or deception could disqualify any payments you should've/would've received. It's their job NOT to pay out, so you can bet their anti-fraud team is pretty decent.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by sanjay
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1363882258' post='22418635
[quote name='sanjay' timestamp='1363873669' post='22418281']
i'm in Toronto proper - M postal code

I pay 1200 a year for the S2000 (and i only drive it 6 months out of there year so i really only pay $600 or so)
Your postal code is M4 or M5 i would put money on that

Nope - M8V postal code

I am old now and have a good record with lots of other discount. (multi-car/multi-line/etc)
Many many years ago I paid $500 a month for my VW golf.

I wouldn't lie about my address for insurance - what's the point of even having it then?
If you can't afford insurance - you cannot afford the car.
[/quote]

"I live downtown so I pay 600 a month for my K Car, I can't afford the Insurance on it!" This isn't fair, and saying you can't afford the car because insurance companies want to gouge the people of Ontario for living in a populated area is the only fraud going on here. So because mike had to move 10 minutes away from the neighbourhood he used to live in means he needs sell his s2000 now because he may not be able to afford to Insure the exact same car hes had for years? Forcing people to move hours out of a populated city just so they can afford to insure the same vehicle is a farce.

How is any insurance company going to prove you don't live at a provided address then deny a claim because your car was vandalized in the city somewhere? The repair on the car costs them the same amount no matter where you live. They take all your money and pay back peanuts in comparison. Yeah thanks insurance companies, you're really there for us.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The premium is calculated by actuaries based on historical data (these data differs company to company, hence the difference in premium between different insurance companies)
If I remember clearly, the premium calculation is regulated by FSCO so you can't really say insurance company tries to rip you off intentionally based on your location
Facts are facts: DT Toronto or Scarborough do have higher accident and theft rates
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Reapur
"I live downtown so I pay 600 a month for my K Car, I can't afford the Insurance on it!" This isn't fair, and saying you can't afford the car because insurance companies want to gouge the people of Ontario for living in a populated area is the only fraud going on here. So because mike had to move 10 minutes away from the neighbourhood he used to live in means he needs sell his s2000 now because he may not be able to afford to Insure the exact same car hes had for years? Forcing people to move hours out of a populated city just so they can afford to insure the same vehicle is a farce.

How is any insurance company going to prove you don't live at a provided address then deny a claim because your car was vandalized in the city somewhere? The repair on the car costs them the same amount no matter where you live. They take all your money and pay back peanuts in comparison. Yeah thanks insurance companies, you're really there for us.
All I am saying is ... if someone is paying $600 a month for insurance it's for a reason. It's because they're a shitty driver.
If we make that $600 person pay $300 .... all it does is raise a good drivers rates.

Insurance is expensive in certain areas for certain drivers for a reason.

And yes - if your insurance company suspects you're lying they'll investigate and find out. All they need to do is ask your neighbours.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ATNCHN
DT Toronto or Scarborough do have higher accident and theft rates
Downtown (M5) isn't expensive - I pay 150/month for full coverage on my s2k and impreza (only one on the road + one in storage).
Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sanjay
Originally Posted by Reapur' timestamp='1363966193' post='22421028

All I am saying is ... if someone is paying $600 a month for insurance it's for a reason. It's because they're a shitty driver.
If we make that $600 person pay $300 .... all it does is raise a good drivers rates.

Insurance is expensive in certain areas for certain drivers for a reason.

And yes - if your insurance company suspects you're lying they'll investigate and find out. All they need to do is ask your neighbours.
Are you saying i deserve to pay this much in insurance? I have 0 at fault accidents and 0 speeding tickets with a CZ drivers license. I do not see how this is fair at all, because i am under 25 doesnt feel like a good arguement either. I was paying half this when i lived in East York.

Quick Reply: Wow Insurance is retarded!