Sponsor S2000 Exterior and S2000 Interior Deals Sponsor deals on S2000 Body and S2000 Interior accessories

JDM license plate Anglers & f1spec shift knobs $19

Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Opposite_Lock' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:52 AM
I'll let you know when I get mine. You can check it out, since you're in Fairfax too.

I'll take some comparison pics with measurements with the stock knob and the Voodoo.
Thank you!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by u8myrice' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:41 AM
Thank you!
nice thanks for helping out, you get a in my book
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 AM

[quote name='Opposite_Lock' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:52 AM'] I'll let you know when I get mine.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Money' date='Jan 8 2009, 02:25 PM
If its close to the height of the Voodoo (and it's half the price) I'm buying one.
I'm not sure if this matters to you, but if I'm not mistaken, it's a bit smaller in diameter compared to the Voodoo knob. Regardless, I'm satisfied with mine.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Part of the reason why I ordered this knob was exactly that reason^

I liked the countersunk height of the Voodoo, but alas I have dainty hands and I prefer the smaller diameter.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 AM

Alright guys, here's my quick review:

F1Spec shipped pretty quickly. I ordered on a Saturday and the package arrived five days later.

Out of the box (shift knob in packaging, Ming's card, and a cool lanyard:

First impression:
Like a previous member stated, this knob is smaller than the Voodoo magnums (standard size). Whereas the Voodoo is 2" in diameter, this knob is ~1.6" diameter (pretty much identical to the stock shift knobs widest point). NOTE: this knob will feel smaller than your OEM knob, even though the widest diameters are the same. This is due to the design of the knob: sphere vs. cylinder. Also, the lower you screw the knob in, the smaller it'll feel (I know this doesn't make any sense reading it, but you'll get it, when you install it). For owners with larger hands, I would recommend finding someone local to feel the size, before purchasing.

Some height and size comparisons:

Since the knob is smaller, it is also lighter than the Voodoo (not sure about exact weight measurement, I'll weigh it later). I've heard that countersunk knobs that are light make the shifts feel notchy. For some reason, notchiness-wise, it feels pretty much the same as my Voodoo aluminum knob, even though it is noticeably lighter. Shifts feel short and crisp, just like my Voodoo knob. Perhaps, there isn't a significant weight difference.

The drop distance is also similar to the Voodoo's at around 1 inch. I think the Voodoo actually is countersunk slightly deeper, but the smaller size of the F1Spec knob equals it out. If you compare the OEM knob with the F1Spec, you'll see that just from the knob height itself, you get nearly an inch drop. In conjunction with the F1Spec knob being countersunk, you get a hefty drop in shifter height.

1:

2:

The flat bottom design of the F1Spec shift knob also lets you utilize the lock collar nut for the stock knob (it sits maybe 2-3 threads higher, after comparing with and without, I ultimately scrapped the lock nut to get it as deeply threaded as possible):

Some tips before installation:
I would clean the knob thoroughly prior to installation to remove any leftover machining/packaging residue. I used Never Dull, rinsed with warm water, then followed up with some plain 'ol dishwashing soap, then rinsed with warm-hot water. I think it increased the luster a bit, but it could just be in my head.

Also, clean out the threads with some hot water and a qtip or something. Sometimes there will be leftover aluminum shavings (albeit not that much). Removing everything prior to installation will ensure a smooth spinnn down.

I haven't driven with the knob yet, but from just a few dry shifts, I can imagine it'll feel pretty much the same as my Voodoo knob. Will update later today.

Overall, it seems like excellent choice for those looking for a bargain countersunk knob. For $20 shipped, you might as well give it a shot!

Hope that helps!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 AM

My hands are not very large. My motorcycle gloves are a small and fit perfectly, so this knob should be perfect.

And I sent a paypal. Let me know when it goes out, I can't wait!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Opposite_Lock' date='Jan 9 2009, 06:33 AM
Alright guys, here's my quick review:

F1Spec shipped pretty quickly. I ordered on a Saturday and the package arrived five days later.

Out of the box (shift knob in packaging, Ming's card, and a cool lanyard:

First impression:
Like a previous member stated, this knob is smaller than the Voodoo magnums (standard size). Whereas the Voodoo is 2" in diameter, this knob is ~1.6" diameter (pretty much identical to the stock shift knobs widest point). NOTE: this knob will feel smaller than your OEM knob, even though the widest diameters are the same. This is due to the design of the knob: sphere vs. cylinder. Also, the lower you screw the knob in, the smaller it'll feel (I know this doesn't make any sense reading it, but you'll get it, when you install it). For owners with larger hands, I would recommend finding someone local to feel the size, before purchasing.

Some height and size comparisons:

Since the knob is smaller, it is also lighter than the Voodoo (not sure about exact weight measurement, I'll weigh it later). I've heard that countersunk knobs that are light make the shifts feel notchy. For some reason, notchiness-wise, it feels pretty much the same as my Voodoo aluminum knob, even though it is noticeably lighter. Shifts feel short and crisp, just like my Voodoo knob. Perhaps, there isn't a significant weight difference.

The drop distance is also similar to the Voodoo's at around 1 inch. I think the Voodoo actually is countersunk slightly deeper, but the smaller size of the F1Spec knob equals it out. If you compare the OEM knob with the F1Spec, you'll see that just from the knob height itself, you get nearly an inch drop. In conjunction with the F1Spec knob being countersunk, you get a hefty drop in shifter height.

1:

2:

The flat bottom design of the F1Spec shift knob also lets you utilize the lock collar nut for the stock knob (it sits maybe 2-3 threads higher, after comparing with and without, I ultimately scrapped the lock nut to get it as deeply threaded as possible):

Some tips before installation:
I would clean the knob thoroughly prior to installation to remove any leftover machining/packaging residue. I used Never Dull, rinsed with warm water, then followed up with some plain 'ol dishwashing soap, then rinsed with warm-hot water. I think it increased the luster a bit, but it could just be in my head.

Also, clean out the threads with some hot water and a qtip or something. Sometimes there will be leftover aluminum shavings (albeit not that much). Removing everything prior to installation will ensure a smooth spinnn down.

I haven't driven with the knob yet, but from just a few dry shifts, I can imagine it'll feel pretty much the same as my Voodoo knob. Will update later today.

Overall, it seems like excellent choice for those looking for a bargain countersunk knob. For $20 shipped, you might as well give it a shot!

Hope that helps!
Is there a difference in shifting feel if you use the lock collar nut or not?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mystiqueskillz' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:05 PM
Is there a difference in shifting feel if you use the lock collar nut or not?
If you don't use the collar nut, the shifter sits a little lower.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Opposite_Lock' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:53 PM
If you don't use the collar nut, the shifter sits a little lower.
Oh okay, thanks. I just ordered the knob, I can't wait to get it!!!

Oh yeah, which never dull do you have? I looked it up, and there's a lot of them claiming to be "the original" never dull. lol.

Quick Reply: JDM license plate Anglers & f1spec shift knobs $19