Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

I need a new top.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new top.

I got home from work yesterday and put the top up. When I got out of the car I noticed a narrow slit about 1.5" long in the top along the rail that runs along the door on the driver's side. Further inspection revealed several other areas where the fabric is very weak and will probably tear in short order.

So now I'm looking at replacing the soft top which begs some questions.

OEM top with plastic window?
OEM with glass window?
Aftermarket with plastic window?
Aftermarket with glass window?
Black top or something more unique for the S?

After a bit of Goog time I found this:

http://www.cabrioworld.com/secure/de...87&modelID=315

I've always liked the look of tan on black but I really like the idea of one of the greys, particularly the pepper. I'm leaning toward aftermarket both for the color choices and to get canvas instead of vinyl.

Opinions, advice, and experiences requested and welcomed.

Anybody know a good installer? I saw a DIY on this and want no part of it - I'd never get it all back together.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 AM

hmm....the Robinson after market tops are supposed to great. That being said though im almost positive you cannot get a n OEM glass top to fit a OEM plastic window frame. You would need to go with the Robinson tops for that unless your wanting to later the fram itself.

My preference would be to keep black...im very biased though and dont like any other color for the top. Canvas would be kinda nice though.....

As for installing....no idea and i bet Honda will charge you something ridiculous like 500 bucks or more. Sucks that you have to get a new one but best of luck to ya
Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheLoons12,Aug 17 2007, 02:52 PM
hmm....the Robinson after market tops are supposed to great. That being said though im almost positive you cannot get a n OEM glass top to fit a OEM plastic window frame. You would need to go with the Robinson tops for that unless your wanting to later the fram itself.

My preference would be to keep black...im very biased though and dont like any other color for the top. Canvas would be kinda nice though.....

As for installing....no idea and i bet Honda will charge you something ridiculous like 500 bucks or more. Sucks that you have to get a new one but best of luck to ya
Dont we have two people in need of a top replacement now?

Maybe we need to have another meet, where everyone helps out with both replacements....
Old 08-17-2007, 12:29 PM

Grainger is supposed to be doing his next month i believe
Old 08-18-2007, 03:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyle I think it's a Robbins top you're reffering to.
I feel your pain Mike. I figure fitting a new top without prior experience would be beyond me and look it in the end.
Joe (Cyclon 36) is a vendor for them on the site. He will probably be the best source for referrals and info on the top.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:53 AM

I spoke with a guy over in Ooltewah yesterday afternoon who's done several S2000s as well as a 30 something Packard that he made by hand after disassembling the old top to make a pattern.

He said he'll put on a Stayfast Canvas top with a tinted plastic window for $1100 parts and labor. For that price I think I'll be able to live with the plastic window and harder to clean canvas. It's supposedly more durable than vinyl because it has a butyl rubber core between the canvas and pre-shrunk cotton inner liner.

I'll probably do some more checking around but I'll probably go ahead with it. I don't see a need to rush as I don't think it's ever going to rain again.

Thanks guys and good luck Grainger! You're a much braver man than I.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:55 AM

Robbins top with glass window FTW!

It comes with a kit with straps to make the glass window fold properly. But now I've got to leave the top up for a week so that it well set and stretch.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:51 AM

very nice!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 AM

PM Slows2k, he knows all about which tops and how to install them!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 AM

rob i believe thats his new top. pretty sure he had it installed prof.

Quick Reply: I need a new top.