Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

If you could start your own business...

Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you could start your own business...

What would it be?

Me, if I won the lottery and had adequate funding to pursue an interest I have a few avenues Id consider exploring. First off, and likely the most obvious would be a detail shop. Id love to have a b&m (store) location centrally located in Cincinnati somewhere. Id market to high(er)-income clientele and make a very finite niche market for sports cars/luxury/exotics/etc. where people, who genuinely cared about their car(s), would be willing to pay for complete rejuvenations of them. I could go on and on about this, but Ill stop for the sake of a shorter post.

The second would be a sports bar/pizza place. I would design this from the bottom up and have a centrally located circular bar with 20-30 beers on tap as well as a fully stocked liquor assortment. Hanging from the ceiling would be a 4-sided scoreboard (think scoreboards in arenas, hockey games, etc) right in the middle of the bar with large LCD's on either side with a scrolling ticker with live updated scores. The menu would be different gourmet pizza types with some odd creations (think Mellow Mushroom/Dewey's/Tomato Head of sorts), with a few personal twists here and there. Different pizzas would likely be named famous athletes from the Cincinnati area (ala the Pete Rose, The Johnny Bench, the Esiason, the Ocho Cinco (where the chef would pre-chew the toppings and spew them all over stale crust to exhibit his diarrhea of the mouth syndrome), and a few others.

In all honesty, I think if I dedicated myself and got adequate funding, I might be able to make either place work. Who knows, after a few years in the corporate world and saving up some money, I might just pursue one...

So, what are your ideas?

-Matt
Old 12-16-2008, 08:38 AM

If I had adequate funding and my degree(s), I would start my own engineering firm that focused solely on sustainability and green engineering/architecture. The entire firm would be self-sustaining with as little environmental impact as possible. Once again, I could go on and on and on about this, but I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

I would also build an automotive performance shop along the same guidelines with little things everywhere that would add to the sustainability of the shop. For instance, let the dyno run a series of powerful fans that would ventilate the building, or even just have a basic generator hooked up to generate power from the cars doing pulls. This could even potentially decrease the cost of a pull for the customers. And again, long story short.

There are plenty more things that I would like to pursue, but these are just two of them.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM

In order of (increasing) likelihood....

I'd open a track.

Or a gunrange.

Or learn how to do bodywork and open a custom bodywork shop.

Or open my own combination cybercafe/restaurant/pub - sort of a geeks meet carguys meet hooters kinda place.

Or learn how to make furniture (wood) and sell custom furniture.

Or my own internet (hardcore) pr0n website -- controlling and producing the content of course.

Or my own internet (softcore) pr0n website -- controlling and producing the content of course.

^^^ LOL on the last two

EDIT: Had to put "increasing" in there to make more sense.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 AM

My own engineering and machine shop doing advanced prototype work for the aerospace industry.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 AM

id love to start a business consulting firm. Ill go into more detail later as i have to run to yet another 4 hour meeting.......

second would be a pub/jazz club. Good drinks, good atmosphere with a lot of culture.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:49 AM

A private scientific research firm that focuses on cell and molecular biology.

Really.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 AM

Am I the only one that's already tired of working?
I would start a fully automated company and I'm actually currently working on it.
I have a few ideas but this is one:
Full design services covering the spectrum of digital art. Build a team of consultants and designers. Have a virtual secretary answer emails and translate needs from clients to designers.

Meanwhile, me sitting on a porch over looking the Mediterranean planning another trip.

Lots of pieces in the middle that need to be worked out but that's the idea.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by breakneckS2k,Dec 16 2008, 11:38 AM
If I had adequate funding and .......
BTW, stole your OSX badge thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by __pg,Dec 17 2008, 11:04 AM
Am I the only one that's already tired of working?
I would start a fully automated company and I'm actually currently working on it.
I have a few ideas but this is one:
Full design services covering the spectrum of digital art. Build a team of consultants and designers. Have a virtual secretary answer emails and translate needs from clients to designers.

Meanwhile, me sitting on a porch over looking the Mediterranean planning another trip.

Lots of pieces in the middle that need to be worked out but that's the idea.
you need a financal backer let me know lol.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ms_mattfeet,Dec 16 2008, 03:49 PM
A private scientific research firm that focuses on cell and molecular biology.

Really.
stem cells?

Quick Reply: If you could start your own business...