Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Alignment in Austin

Old 04-19-2002, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment in Austin

Where would you guys recommend to go for some alignment work in the Austin area? My s2k is about 4 weeks old and has about 1500 miles on it. It would like to get my alignment checked since I have no idea what it is currently set at. As well, I would like to see if I can dial out some of the oversteer with new settings. What settings are you guys using locally for aggressive driving both on hwy and in hillcountry? I have read the threads in which some owners have been posting their alignments. They are very informative! I was just wondering what your experience showed with our local roads. Also, I do plan on using the car in both autocross events and track days in addition to daily driving. If it matters, I currently have stock suspension and am in the process of adding an x-brace (digrappa most likely) and an adjustable front sway bar.

Thanks,
Tim

PS. I am looking forward to meeting many of you at some drive or happy hour. I am sorry I missed monday at the Oasis. I doubt I will make the drive on Sunday also. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NTB on Lamar & 183. Sondra might be able to fill in the guy's name that we used. Since it was out of factory spec (which is BS!), it wasnt' under NTB's 6mo/6K warranty.

Recommendation:
Front Camber: -1.1 to -1.5
Front Caster: +6 or as close to 6 as you can
Front Toe: 0
Rear Camber: -2
Rear Toe: 1/8th toe IN

BTW, did you go with the BG bar or still contemplating the Comptech unit?
Old 04-20-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible that the car was shipped with an incorrect alignment...

But don't make any assumption that the stock alignment results in an inherently oversteering car. It's purposely neutral, think of it as a horse you have to learn to ride.

Of course you can get a more agressive alignment yet... but there are always compromises (wet-traction, more oversteer, tire wear, steering change, etc).

So, are you sure there is a "problem"?
Old 04-20-2002, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was not a "problem". Just wanted to clean it up a bit. I actually had my alignment done this morning at NTB as suggested (with suggeted specs).

AWESOME!!!

All I have done is drive it home, yet this is what I have noticed: Sharper turn in with front wheels during mild to moderate speed. Rear end feels much more stable on sharp turns as well as high speed sweepers (ie. highway interchanges). This is especially important to me because every time I would exit from North mopac to 183 North at any moderate speed it would feel as if the rear end would/could break loose at any moment. Now it feels much more stable at speed. Turn in is no less sharper yet feels more in proportion to the amount turn of steering wheel (if that makes sense?). Over all I am very happy with my new alingment.

By the way, the service I received was excellent. Jeff was my writer and a guy by the name of Shaun did my alignment. Shaun made the comment that alot of local racers go there to get their alignment done and he is the one who does it. He was curteous and knowledgable. I actually had the alignment done with me sitting in the car and they acted like it was an everday kind of thing. I expected some weird looks when I said I wanted it done with me in the car and was quite surprised at their attitude. I would highly recommend them for this specialized service. Actually, they have done almost all tire, wheel and alignment word for me and my family for about the last 15 years and have always been pleased.

Thanks for your help Jeff and Randy,
Tim