Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Anyone interested in taking the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Course?

Old 10-14-2002, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone interested in taking the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Course?

I know Mark was interested, and I believe someone else was as well. Even if you're not thinking about getting a motorcycle, it could be nice to have this kind of experience if you get the chance to ride one.

I've only found one place around here that offers it, and its $155, and all you have to provide is jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

Its 8 hours of classroom time and 12 of hours, which is significantly more than the standard MSF course.

I'll look around for some more places, but as Mark mentioned, it can be much more fun if you know someone in the class with you instead of being in there by yourself.

So who's interested?

Blake
Old 10-14-2002, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really like to do this, but I'm not a definite yes given the work situation. I can probably swing it though so I'm most likely in.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great course, and I highly recommend it prior to getting a motorcycle if you're interested in riding, esp. if you're not sure about it. After taking the classroom and riding their bikes, you'll have a lot better idea if you're ready to take the plunge...and if you do, the knowledge and skills you'll learn will greatly increase your safety (fact: >90% of motorcycle accidents are attributable to no/improper training &/or alcohol).

I did it the ass backward way...bought a literbike to start w/ (though I'd had a good amt. of dirt biking exp. in my youth), then signed up for MSF and rode around sans license for 3 months. The classroom portion was great, but the instructor wasn't too happy about me dragging pegs on their Nighthawk! (he threatened to demote me from a 250 to a 125 if I didn't chill out)

I also took the Experienced Riders Course w/ the Texas Sportbike Association (tsba.org). It was at Berger Stadium, which has a wide open parking lot....hmmm, lots of space for wheelies! Note to self - do not break the law, or even the loosest interpretation of the law, in Sunset Valley. We didn't realize that the Sunset Valley PD was right around the corner, and the local force came out in no time to spoil the fun. We scrambled like roaches, but they did a pretty good job of rounding us up at the exits. When we came back, two of the group were in handcuffs. Seems like the officers weren't well-versed on the concealed carry laws, and were telling my bud that he'd committed a felony for carrying on school property. My friend (who was right), however, insisted that he was only prohibited from carrying inside a building. After a little over-the-air research, all of us were released w/ no charges. Whew!!!

It prob. wouldn't be a bad idea for me to take a refresher course, but I'd do the ERC course again.