Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Furniture

Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt go into debt over furniture either, me and my wife are about to start looking for our first house in about 2 months. That being said, were going from a 1 bedroom apartment with nothing to probably a 3 or 4 bedroom house, needless to say theres gonna be alot of open space and empty rooms........I plan on cruising craiglist like Ricky said for used furniture and getting things over time.........no sense in racking up 10k in furniture bills especially when you can never sell it back to make half what you paid.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickycrx
When we bought our first house, money was really tight (it always is after putting down that huge down payment), but I also wasn't in a hurry to go into debt to "fill up the house" with furniture. We made-do with the little breakfast table and 4 chairs I had in my previous apartment as a dining table for a while (that whole set cost me less than $200 back in the day), and kept our older leather couch that I also found for a bargain way back when. You can also shop Craigslist for very lightly used furniture from people that are in a hurry to relocate and don't want to move their furniture. There are lots of very inexpensive options if you're willing to take your time and can live with having something that's not exactly "brand new."

Furniture is something that I would never consider going into debt for. I worked with a guy one time that had over $80k in credit card debt (this was back in 2001), and I asked him how the heck he managed to do that. He said he went out and bought all new oak furniture and such for his new house and other things to get settled in. Back in 2001, he was making nearly $40/hr on a contract we worked (~$83k/yr), plus his wife worked, he only had his vehicle and his wife's vehicle and their new house, and they were barely making ends meet. Obviously his is an extreme case, but it drives home that point -- it's okay to live in a semi-empty house for a while to not struggle later :-)
Amen to that bro! Same route I took in using my apartment furniture. I outfitted one room at a time in my house when my pockets would allow. I eventually got rid of some of that old stuff and gave some away. I do understand that you want quality at a low price but 04S2kSS summed it by saying "you get what you pay for" . Good luck and congrats on the house! BTW, Furniture Row carries signature stuff as well. They're located across from Ingram Park Mall on Ingram Rd.