Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

How to beat a speeding ticket

Old 12-10-2002, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to beat a speeding ticket

I'm guessing that saying that your car was begging you to go faster is no excuse?

Interesting read: http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/insur...asics/10281.asp

Beat a speeding ticket to keep your rates down
A hefty fine may be only the beginning if you get nailed for speeding: Your insurer can slap a surcharge on your policy that could run for years.
By Ed Henry and Ronaleen R. Roha, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

Ivan Sever, a professor at Berklee College of Music, heard nothing melodious in the siren that pulled him over on a little country road outside of Boston. And he was nonplussed when the officer told him he was speeding as he drove his 12-year-old daughter, Alison, to ballet class. Get Online Insurance Quotes
Old 12-23-2002, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't have time to read the whole article but yes in Texas you can request "Deferred Edjudication (sp?)". A few years ago I received 2 speeding tickets in one month. I took defensive driving for the first and requested deferred edjudication for the second. Basically, you pay the fine, court fees, take defensive driving again. Then you are on probation for 6 months to 1 year. If you get no more fines during your probation your tickets never go on your record.

FYI. You should post this article on the main Forum page.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:16 PM

The deferred adjudication I received only lasted for 90 days. That was a tough 90 days of driving like a normal citizen instead of the maniac driver that I am.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:26 PM
Banned

Man....that article was about deferred adjudication?

Why not just read one of the 50 posts on the subject that I've posted.

Sounds like a wasted read to me!

Blake
Old 12-23-2002, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by infinitebass
Man....that article was about deferred adjudication?

Why not just read one of the 50 posts on the subject that I've posted.

Sounds like a wasted read to me!

Blake
Looks like you wasted your time posting if you didn't read the article to know that that isn't all they discussed...
Old 12-24-2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Sondra S2K
Roll down the window and keep your hands in view on the steering wheel. If you have to get your driver's license, registration or insurance card from the glove box, a purse or other enclosed area, tell the officer before you do it.
This is one of the most important steps there is. Make sure you turn on the light in the car, put your hands up on the steering wheel and wait! Do NOT get out your insurance, do NOT get out your license. Wait. When the officer comes up, and asks for them, THEN you get them out. Otherwise you are admitting a bit of guilt here. Secondly, in the period of time that it takes for you to get out your license, the officer can tell whether or not you are a threat to him and/or if you are ticket worthy.

When the officer asks for it, say "its here in my back pocket" - point to back pocket, confirm that he knows what you are doing, and then get it out. This assures the officer that you are not a threat that he might receive on any given stop.

An officer pulls over XX number of people in a day or visits with a given number of people in a day. Its a relief for the officer to know that some consideration for his or her safety is in your mind.

Why do I press on this so much - well, lets put it this way. A friend was speeding about 120mph and was eventually pulled over after a few miles. When pulled over the officer was screaming at the top of his lungs about to rip my buddy's head off. However, when asked why it took him so long to pull over, he responded, "I wanted to make sure we were clear off the highway out of harm's way." The cop was shocked and it was at the end of his shift. He let my friend go, and didn't even bother checking his license.

This isn't to say going 120mph down highway 59 south is 'ok', its to say that a little consideration on your part no matter how guilty you are - can go a long way in the rarest of times.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Sondra S2K

Looks like you wasted your time posting if you didn't read the article to know that that isn't all they discussed...
Well, if thats the only thing in the article that anyone found worth commenting about, then everything else must have been even more pointless...

Randy, I would hope everyone would have learned that by now. *shrugs*

Being nice is key, because even though it might not get you off, if you decide to fight it, you hopefully have left only a positive impression on the police officer's mind. Sure there are always questions about why YOU got pulled over, not the other 300 people that he's clocked in the last 5 minutes. Or why he pulls you over, driving a car that is designed for high performance, and not that Expedition that you happened to be behind.

Its his job. You broke the law. Why make things worse and be an ass about it? I mean, its almost always a matter of when, not if.

Blake