Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

not S2000 related- video in Win XP

Old 08-13-2002, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not S2000 related- video in Win XP

I have WIn XP home edition and all of the sudden I can't play MPEGs when I click on a link. If I download it then it will play fine but other than that, I either get sound with no video or nothing happens at all. WMV's, ASF's, and AVI's seem to work fine, juts not MPEGs. Any ideas?

I have tried reinstalling the codec from Microsoft's website but that didn't seem to do anything. I think it may have screwed up when I was downloading an older codec to watch AVI's since older ones were not playing and I have some old AVI's from back in my vidoe game days that have SFX and music that I created. I don't see why installing that would affect just trying to play an MPEG from a link since they work if I download them.

Thanks,
Kirk
Old 08-14-2002, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything works great for me... on my multiple Win XP systems.

Since they play when you download.. but not when connected: I would ask what your bandwidth is. Is there a problem there... slow downaload time, maybe it's just downloading them partway before starting?
Old 08-14-2002, 08:16 AM

Maybe you need to update IE.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:49 PM

I have Road Runner and speed has never been an issue in the past, and like I mentioned, other formats did download fine but I just noticed today that some WMV's that I tried only played sound and no video.

As far as IE goes, I have 6.0.2600.

I did notice that my Media player version says 9.00.00.2601 but I thought XP came with version 8.0 but it is still odd that it worked fine and seems to be degrading over time. I don't have any viruses either so I am a bit perplexed and unfortunatley, since this is a new HP, it did not come with a Win XP disc and I am not sure how to reinstall Media Player 8 for XP as I could not find it on the MS site.

Kirk
Old 08-14-2002, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by The Captain
...this is a new HP...
Oh, now it all makes sense!!!! Dude, you should have gotten a Dell!

J/K. Sorry but I don't know what could be causing this problem. You could always try a fresh install of Windows. That should fix it but could be a real pain based on how much stuff you have put on there.

Mark
Old 08-14-2002, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it all MPEGs? or a specific one? perhaps a codec problem?

codec issues are rarely solved by MS updates.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:26 PM

Are you having problems with movies that did play on your system in the past? If so, you have a problem and I'm not sure how to help troubleshoot it without being there.

However, if they are not movies you have played before, you might simply be missing a particular non-typical codec (DIVX or MPEG4 perhaps?). I have had some DIVX movies come up in Windows Media Player and just give me sound and no video.

Trending Topics

Old 08-14-2002, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SD - that would be a problem with the player you are using. For those that come up with sound and no video, they end up working fine in The Playa or even Zoom Player video viewing apps.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:36 PM

Yes, I've also had a few that wouldn't play in WMP even after installing the DIVX codecs. For those, resorting to The Playa did work fine. Not sure why WMP seems to play some DIVX, but not all DIVX, at least on my system.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:59 PM

I've got the same IE, but my Media Player is 8.00.00.4477

Quick Reply: not S2000 related- video in Win XP