Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Separate forum on another server?

Old 08-26-2002, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jwfisher
For our site, we'd have to have the same thing - a single person or a very small group of people. Agreed upon format and layout, methods, updates. Control.
If you're looking for consensus, Blake is the obvious choice for the job...otherwise, he'll challenge everything regardless of merit.

Besides, he's certainly not lacking for free time!
Old 08-26-2002, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROTFLOL!!!

Actually, I don't think we can possibly come to a full consensus on layout, etc. We are all too different.

Blake
Old 08-26-2002, 04:47 PM

Another example to consider:

www.s2ksocal.com
Old 08-26-2002, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, I'm suggesting maturity, experience, and consistency.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:13 PM
Banned

w.r.t. requirements, this is what I think we 'need'

Registrations required to post
Viewing a list of threads and viewing posts within a threads.
Ability to bookmark a thread.
Ability to link to other sites (for pics, etc).
Relatively easy to remember URL.
Some mechanism for private messaging.

Well, that's pretty much it. IMHO, everything else is just gravy. I still read text email. Call me old-fashioned if you wish. We don't 'need' personalized email addresses or web space. I consider those to be something better left to businesses like s2ki, not a car club or a car entusiast's forum.

My .02...
Old 08-26-2002, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In creating our own forums, what I had planned to discuss at happy hour this week was what to call it and how to pay for it. I don't see the need *in any way* for separate subforums within our own; I think it will only serve to divide the small, cozy group we have now.

In essence, there has been a fair amount of downtime at S2Ki just prior to one large event and one smaller one here in Austin, and I'd like to eliminate the factor of lost last-minute information. I think that in the end, it will benefit our group, especially if we can take advantage of some of the benefits of the S2000Atlanta site. Couple that with the ease of finding us with an easier web address, and I can't see any cons to this. As with the other regional sites, I'm sure that we can embed a link to our own site under the Central Texas heading to point people in the right direction, should they look for us on S2Ki.

I look forward to talking to you guys about this at happy hour. Anyone got any suggestions on where we should go?
Old 08-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys, to help out I have added the following urls.

http://centex.s2ki.com/ and http://centraltexas.s2ki.com/

While the down time recently was unfortunate, the problem has been resolved and won't happen again. And I shouldn't need to mention we have a long term record of impeccable uptime.

s2ki continues to support the central texas members in whatever you guys feel you need. Also I should mention we now have a separate server for hosting which is completely separate from s2ki if you want to use it.

-Ry
Old 08-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Banned

Thanks Krazik! We wouldn't abandon S2ki for our own server. At least I wouldn't, and I think its safe to assume most others wouldn't as well. Its just very beneficial to have a smaller site that won't be as stressful to a server (with less downtime hopefully). Its unfortunate that the S2ki downtime (As I mentioned previously really is not that bad!) just happened to coincide with some of our planned events.

Conspiracy? Only time will tell....

Blake
Old 08-26-2002, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's why we have/are moving the non-s2ki sites to their own box.

If you guys need free hosting, you know who to contact
Old 08-27-2002, 06:59 AM

I think its kinda pointless to go to a lot of trouble to make a new site. I'm sure the uptime on s2ki is 99.99something, I mean come on. Even the best systems will go down every once in a while just to prove to you that they can whatever they want to.
If its just a name you want, register a domain name and have it redirected to the cen tex forum here.

Quick Reply: Separate forum on another server?