Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

slippery tires

Old 11-07-2001, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slippery tires

hey does anyone know much gripp these stock tires can offer because sometimes ill slide and not even know it in midturning situations just curious.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

things needed to know:

how many miles do you have on your tires?

what are the air pressure settings on your tires? (optimal pressure on OEM S02's is 36-38#'s all around COLD!)

how hard do you drive?

These tires need to WARM UP before you start pushing the car. Give these tires time to warm up especially in the winter season where the streets are warm and not gripping the tires as much.

My impressions of the stock tires are "fantastic" but after 5K miles, they will start sucking. Mine were entirely trashed at 8,500 miles and I streached it to almost 12K miles with no rain and only trips to / from Dallas.

The OEM S02's will push push push push push and then give way. So, watch out! Other tires, such as the suck ass (but great in rain) AVS Sports (220 treadwear as opposed to 160 on the OEM S02's) will give - bark - give - bark - give bark and then totally give way. Thus, they will talk to you more and give you more feedback than just giving way once they have reached their limit.

If you haven't already, I encourage you to go to an autox event or even a driver's education event at texas world speedway or another comparable course with instructors - its quite educational and just a blast. you'll learn how to push the car far past the limits that you think you are pushing right now (that is, if you haven't been before).

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]things needed to know:

what are the air pressure settings on your tires? (optimal pressure on OEM S02's is 36-38#'s all around COLD!)

The OEM S02's will push push push push push and then give way.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:28 PM

BlueHS2000,

Question #1: Are you a bulldog?

Question #2: By any chance does your name start with a J?
Old 11-07-2001, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the AVS Sports were great until I drove another S2000 with new S02's - and also using them on the track - just not that great at all.

In the rain they are great, but not much more I can say about these tires. They will last longer though, even with abuse, but I will not be getting a second set.

Treadwear has a lot to do with the stickiness of the tires themselves. I'm not saying that I can't recover from a drift at all w/the AVS Sports, but I'll be doing that a lot more when following the guys, pushing the corners in the hills here, than I would if I had S02's.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:04 AM

At least we Subie owners get even tread wear when we are 4 wheel drifting

I can understand getting a stickier tire like the SO-2s, but for a $150 tire, I would think it's kinda pricey to only be laying down 6k of rubber on them. What about Proxie TS-1s? Or Nitto 555?

I'll stick with my Kumho ECSTA Supra 712s (haven't ordered them yet), they are only $71 a tire and grip great.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by WRXBoy
At least we Subie owners get even tread wear when we are 4 wheel drifting

I can understand getting a stickier tire like the SO-2s, but for a $150 tire, I would think it's kinda pricey to only be laying down 6k of rubber on them. What about Proxie TS-1s? Or Nitto 555?

I'll stick with my Kumho ECSTA Supra 712s (haven't ordered them yet), they are only $71 a tire and grip great.
Ya gotta pay to play...in tires, fun is usually proportional to cost and inversely proportional to tread life. Kuhmos may be fine on a Subie, but I'm not gonna compromise my S2000's handling w/ an el cheapo tire! BTW, I got 9K on the rears, and fronts are still going strong...
Old 11-08-2001, 04:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]Treadwear has a lot to do with the stickiness of the tires themselves.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Chris S
Kuhmos may be fine on a Subie, but I'm not gonna compromise my S2000's handling w/ an el cheapo tire!
Most autoXing subies use the Kumhos. They seem to provide a great balance of handling, tread wear, roll, and price. Plus, with AWD we don't rely on one set of tire like most cars. Our tread wear with everyday driving is usually pretty even on all four tires. Especially in my case with the big 22mm rear sway I have greatly reduced understeer so the treads in the front should last longer.

Unfortunately, Subaru outfits the WRX with Potenza RE92s. These tires cannot properly handle the WRX when driven hard. Hopefully on next years model they will change to a better tire, like the Potenza 730s.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by WRXBoy

And this is also assuming you have an adequate sound system to overcome the road noise/squealing from these tires. But yes, they grip great and are very reasonably priced.

I can barely hear my music with the SO2's, can't imagine listening to the 712's talking to me all day.

Quick Reply: slippery tires