Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

I'm moving to Houston -- A couple questions.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey everyone!

I
Old 07-18-2003, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will take alot longer then 30-40 minutes to commute from woodlands to downtown in rush hour.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:18 AM

The 30-40 minutes can happen if you work between 6am and 4 pm like me. It's helps to make your own hours.

There are quite a few townhomes in midtown, but they're going for $300-400k and up. It becomes very expensive if you plan to live within Beltway 8. The convenience factor costs a lot in Houston.

The Weimaraner is great looking dog. My neighbor had one when I was kid. Prince was his name. I don't know why I remember that.

Yankee go home. Just kidding. Okie go home!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Damn
Old 07-18-2003, 12:05 PM

Welcome to Houston.......

No disrespect for the folks in the Woodlands, but it is a shag from there to downtown -- if you don't leave early enough, you're hosed on trafic (Hardy toll road is the way to go too). It's beautiful up there however...

I relocated to Houston in January of 2002 and bought in Humble area because my commute is about 25 minutes in the morning and if I leave around 6:00 pm I can make it home in under 20 minutes (have even made it in about 15minumtes -- but that's when I leave downtown after 7:00pm and that's hauling ). We live in a new development called Fall Creek -- it's close to US 59 and right off of Beltway 8. Nice comumity that hopefully will do well, but there ain't S**t for shopping and dining without going minimum of 5 miles. Here's a link to there webpage:

http://www.fallcreekhouston.com/welcome.html

Not sure what the state income tax or property tax is like in Oklahoma, but here with no state income tax, they nail you on the property tax. Also look for your auto insurance to go up....

Good luck and welcome.....
Old 07-18-2003, 12:14 PM

Midtown is the area immediately south/southwest of downtown. You could actually walk or bike your office, and there is a free downtown trolley system that touches midtown. I lived in MT for a while and walked to work - I now live in DT and have an even shorter walk to work.

There's lots of TH development in MT from the $225k+, with the majority in the $300k range.

If you can handle 1000-1500 sqft, tiny lots, and a 50-100 year old house, there are a number of neighborhoods within 15 minutes of DT that you can get into for <$300k.

But for the same $$, you can get a massive new home in Kingwood or the Woodlands - but you will incur some communting costs.

PM or e-mail me if you need more detailed info (I did my grad work in Houston area urban development issues).

Dilshad
Old 07-18-2003, 12:28 PM

Joe, I "beg 2 diffa" on your ballpark price quote for midtown townhomes. I've seen them as low as $175,000 for a 2000 sq ft new build in the 4th Ward (next to midtown) and $210,000 for stone's throw from downtown townhomes. (Mark and I looked around there briefly ~ 4 or 5 months ago.)

This is where we looked: www.urbanloftstownhomes.com

Now the scenery may not be quite as lush as the Woodlands, but a 5 minute commute is like GOLD around here!

OK, if you are planning on settling down for quite a while and raising a family, I might recommend the Northern Suburbs. However, being a childless person myself, I would definitely get as close to town as possible. I've lived in Spring and done the hour commutes... and will NEVER do it again unless I have absolutely no other option. There is just not much to do up there unless you have a big family, plus you lessen the monotonous highway miles that you put on the S.

There are other options as well... you can get the "suburban" feel in the city in the Heights area where we live. It's an historical district and most homes were built in the 1920's. 1500 sq foot homes are going for about $200K.

Nonetheless, welcome and good luck!!!

~Nance
Old 07-18-2003, 12:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is a 30-40 minute commute time realistic from The Woodlands to 6XX Jefferson downtown?
Yes it's completely possible. I live there myself.
it will take alot longer then 30-40 minutes to commute from woodlands to downtown in rush hour.
Actually I can do it in under 30 minutes but then again I drive like a psycho behind the wheel of this car. The Accord takes about 40 mins to get downtown in rush hour traffic. Getting down there from the Woodlands is not the hard part. It's getting back out of town going north that is the real hassle.
(Hardy toll road is the way to go too)

IMO living in town is completely overrated. Too much bad air, noise, and traffic to deal with on a regular basis. I lived right near the Galleria for about two years and couldn't wait to get "out" in the suburbs. The air quality is considerably better north of 1960 and especially north of 2920. It can be "felt" if you are driving with the top down.

If you have any questions regarding the Woodlands feel free to PM me. I've lived here about ten years.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lips2000.5
[B]Joe, I "beg 2 diffa" on your ballpark price quote for midtown townhomes.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:11 PM

I've only lived here for about 5 months and dont care about this city too much. At the same time I've only been here for a short time and haven't done all the things Houston has to offer.If I was you.. I would ask to be located somewhere else... Austin?...

Quick Reply: I'm moving to Houston -- A couple questions.