Old 04-28-2003, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out these alignment specs

Front
Camber Left -1.0
Old 04-28-2003, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Where did you get these specs? I don't understand why you would TRY to have any thrust angle, cross camber, or cross caster. Even though these are insignificant differences, I would want the target specs to be the same for the left and right. Are you specifying toe IN for the rear? If I remember correctly, most of the "performance" alignments I have seen have had slight toe OUT on the front, and zero toe on the rear.

What are your measurements from the bottom of the wheel to the fender on the front AND rear? I think stock is about 23 1/4", and mine are about 22 1/4" front and 22 1/2" rear. These measurements do change significantly based on tire pressure variances, uneven tread wear, and uneven ground. My measurements have not been very repeatable at all, with easily 1/4" variations on visibly "perfectly" flat surfaces.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Would you please report back with the BEFORE and AFTER alignment specs?
Old 04-28-2003, 12:49 PM

As I understand it, having a bit of rear toe in is a good thing, the reason being suspension geometry can change under hard cornering which could lead to rear toe OUT, which is a bad thing since the car will tend to snap oversteer.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Spawn
As I understand it, having a bit of rear toe in is a good thing, the reason being suspension geometry can change under hard cornering which could lead to rear toe OUT, which is a bad thing since the car will tend to snap oversteer.
I don't think toe IN at the rear is a bad thing. Toe out definitely causes more oversteer, and it can be squirly under hard braking and acceleration.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:02 PM

I agree.

What I'm trying to say is that having zero rear toe may not be a good idea either, since the the car tends to toe out during cornering. The idea is to have enough toe in at the start to compensate.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:07 PM

all measurements are done in my garage. I have a very level garage floor that is painted.

I'll measure the distance between the lower part of the wheel to the top of the fender and report back tonight.

I will also send before and after alignment specs tomorrow.

Toe In the rear will help reduce oversteer correct?
Old 04-28-2003, 01:08 PM

alignment specs posted by tedster.

I also have UK alignment specs:

Front Caster L/R 6.5
Old 04-28-2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by CMiS2K
Toe In the rear will help reduce oversteer correct?
Yes.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Camber, caster, toe fine, and obviously very close to stock spec. Nothing that should cause a problem.

Do not consider rear toe out Rear toe IN is a standard tuning technique to stabilize rear handling and control oversteer. I have never heard a credible reason for rear toe out.

FRONT toe out is sometimes used to improve initial turn in response or to compensate for inadequate ackerman. However it will wear inside edge of tires excessively in street use, so you cannot leave it there all the time. For autox mostly used by FWD and formula cars with little ackerman.

Gregg

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
[B]Front
Camber Left -1.0

Quick Reply: Check out these alignment specs