Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Do you have a front license plate? Maybe you should, now!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Do you have a front license plate? Maybe you should, now!

Effective today the new law applying to license plates takes effect and the fine for no front plate can be up to $200 ! The previous law on plates never contained the penalty portion, so law enforcement could only write fix it tickets or give verbal warnings. That all changed today, so running around with no front plate can be a costly proposition as the new law contains the penalty portion. So be warned, let's see if the Porsche, Corvette, Lambo and Ferrari guys adhere to this revised law, I'm betting they'll just write the check if they are stopped.

Also this law applies to not having a rear plate as well. My question is why don't motorcycles and scooters have front plates as well, I'm thinking they have better lobbyists than the car crowd.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

"front plate not required if no mounting point". I had my bumper holes filled with a repaint. Good to go!

...I am not in TX
Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't have one and I probably won't ever install one. It sucks and all, but I'll just take my chances unless someone comes up with some kind of flip out plate or something.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:03 PM

They have motorized plate mounts, this is just one of the companies that make them.

http://www.hidetheplate.com/
Old 09-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks for the heads up Steve that sucks I hate the way the front plate looks on our car dam laws and I guess it has to be on the bumper and not in the windshield
Old 09-02-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
They have motorized plate mounts, this is just one of the companies that make them.

http://www.hidetheplate.com/
I believe those are illegal now as well. Regardless, the lack of a fine was only in existence for a couple of years. I've been driving in TX over 30 years w/ no front plates from the beginning, and have paid one fine. It's not a moving violation either. I'm not going to rush to install plates on my cars unless local cops decide to start harassing me about it.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 AM

Having talked to several traffic officer friends just recently they anticipate a push for lot's of tickets for this violation, both parked or moving to educate the public. I haven't decided if I'll go without or opt for a stealthy version of display.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 cars ...no, no, and yes on the minivan

Like Chris, will not plan on it unless our local guys get overzealous
Old 09-02-2013, 03:33 PM

If I get a ticket, I may try one of the motorized plates, but not messing with it until then. I just took the car out for a quick cruise a little bit ago since its all back together and I passed multiple cops without any attempt to harass me. Its probably just like any other day where it depends on the cop and the day they are having. Heck, I might not even mind if it happens to be a female cop... I might even try to bribe her with a ride and then get her number
Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Well those of you choosing not to put them on in the front run the risk of them also using the excuse to pull you over and then cite you for other infractions! Also, I have been told by a couple of different dallas police officers and dart police officers that they will begin writing many more tickets for this now that there is a financial incentive for the city; prior to this it didn't win any money for the city or police dept.!

Quick Reply: Do you have a front license plate? Maybe you should, now!