Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Driving in the rain.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a wet skid pad meet last weekend at the SCCA autocross at Pennington Field. It rained all morning and we still had fun. Best thing I ever did after wrecking my first S was to start autocrossing. I am still a long ways off of being a good driver, but I understand the S a lot better and can really start to have fun in it. There is nothing like an autocross to teach you about the levels of grip and the snap oversteer of an S, especially when lifting the throttle at a very inopportune time (such as I did when my OMG moment landed me in a telephone pole). Go chase some cones, you will be very glad you did.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heh after that i was driving like a grandmother in the rain today too. I went back and looked at the intersection today and as Marin3SSgt stated it is an awful road, it looks like i hit a puddle covered shallow ditch which really threw me off. I'm running stock suspension and the tires at Bridgestone Potenza's S-02 at around 90%+ tread.
Accordingly i'm planning on heading out to an autocross event as soon as i get some free time so i can really test the car.
I like the idea of testing it out on an open area in the rain(day or night) but i can't think of an area open enough... any ideas?

Appreciate the responses and yes, i realized it was pretty stupid of me to push the car on an uneven road in the rain

Although funny story, my sister had just come in from vegas and asked me to pick her up from the airport... without thinking i took the s2k. This would've been fine if i hadn't forgot when people come of airplanes they generally have a suitcase or 2. I ended up having to take my spare out and having her hold it from the drive just so i could get the suitcase in the trunk...to which the amused crowd actually cheered. Although i console myself in the fact that from now on she'll likely not wake me up again at 6am and ask for a ride.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM

If you have VSA available on your S ('06 and up, I believe), and the VSA was not turned off, there is almost no way you could have made a 180 out of it (trust me, I have really pushed mine to the limit to know what it will and will not do). If you do not have VSA or it was disabled this certainly can occur very easily when accelerating during a turn/curve especially on wet pavement.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ChazzHundal
I like the idea of testing it out on an open area in the rain(day or night) but i can't think of an area open enough... any ideas?

Although funny story, my sister had just come in from vegas and asked me to pick her up from the airport... without thinking i took the s2k. This would've been fine if i hadn't forgot when people come of airplanes they generally have a suitcase or 2. I ended up having to take my spare out and having her hold it from the drive just so i could get the suitcase in the trunk...to which the amused crowd actually cheered. Although i console myself in the fact that from now on she'll likely not wake me up again at 6am and ask for a ride.
Open area = autocross. Anything else is pushing legality and a visit from the po po.

In the past I used the back shelf to transport groceries, but never luggage (also the whole guillotine thing in an accident is scary)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChazzHundal
Heh after that i was driving like a grandmother in the rain today too. I went back and looked at the intersection today and as Marin3SSgt stated it is an awful road, it looks like i hit a puddle covered shallow ditch which really threw me off. I'm running stock suspension and the tires at Bridgestone Potenza's S-02 at around 90%+ tread.
Accordingly i'm planning on heading out to an autocross event as soon as i get some free time so i can really test the car.

Appreciate the responses and yes, i realized it was pretty stupid of me to push the car on an uneven road in the rain

If you have Potenza s02 on our car. Ap1 16in 00-03. They are at least 9-12years old. Tires should be replaced every 6 years regardless how much thread left. The rubber is too old and harden. I strongly recommend replacing them for any spirited driving.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:23 AM

I LOVE VSA!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:56 AM

it's been said already, but..

-tires make a difference. my one and only spin was on OEM S02's.

-the weight transfer you did was too much, particularly for wet roads. never speed up quickly and brake quickly unless you know what you're doing. inputs should be linear, not sudden otherwis weight transfer will pwn you.

-type of road materials vary in slickness.

-learn your car. or any car. track it or otherwise.

wet skid pad meet would be awesome. I would pay for that.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 PM

when it hasn;t rained in a while, the rain mixxed into all that oil on the ground is slicker than ice. i have a DD and i drive it 100% of the time in wet weather. plus, the S2000 really is worse than other cars on the wet, just my opinion...
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM

i have no treadwear on my tires... they are like slicks! slicks = fast!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidnyc
Originally Posted by ChazzHundal' timestamp='1332282414' post='21528042

Open area = autocross. Anything else is pushing legality and a visit from the po po.

In the past I used the back shelf to transport groceries, but never luggage (also the whole guillotine thing in an accident is scary)
if its bad enough to break the roll bars you wouldn't have made it anyway

Quick Reply: Driving in the rain.