Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

ER Autocross May 6 - TMS

Old 04-26-2001, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Equipe Rapid is hosting an autocross at the TMS bus lot Sunday May 6th. Non-members are $20 to participate in the "Challenge" event. Apparently you get 4 runs in the Challenge event and for $10 more you get 2 extra in the PAX event (same course).

I've never run an autocross before so I'm interested in trying it out if anyone else is. Also if anyone has any tips I'm all ears...there is a basic tech inspection at
the event.

8:30 - 10:00 registration & tech inspection
10:15 - driver's meeting
10:30 - first car on the course
4:00 - 5:00 wrap up

. Here's the web address for more info- http://autocross.com/er/index.htm

I haven't heard from anyone yet...surely someone else wants to go have fun burning up some tires and clutch!

Paul Wilcox

[Edited by Paul W on 04-27-2001 at 10:00 AM]
Old 05-06-2001, 05:09 PM

Despite the inclement weather overall it was a nice day for autocrossing. It was misting all morning out at TMS so during the first heat things were pretty greasy...but FUN! Everything dried out nicely for an uncrowded event with about 45 participants.

There was only one S2000 in attendance, owned & operated by
an obviously experienced autocrosser who took first in the "A Stock" classification. The way the track was set up it was pretty much 2nd gear the whole way, with the S2000 winding out at 8K + at the end of the longest semi-straight. I took my MR2 turbo on which I was intending to wring out the last bit of life from my rear Yokahama A520's. Unfortunately after 8 runs they still have some life. the best time I could get on the MR2 (on street tires)was 33.7 seconds. I believe the S2000 with race tires was running somewhere in the 29's.

This is the first one of these I've run but a second set of wheels with race rubber is a must. June 3 is the next event with this club. I believe the Dallas area SCCA is hosting another event the weekend prior.
Old 05-07-2001, 06:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Always glad to have someone else promote autocross. I may be experienced (30+ years at it), but I'm only moderately fast when the National level guys show up.

Paul, I imagine I was working while you were running and vice versa. I talked to a lot of people but no one mentioned owning an S2000. Next time come over and say hello. If anyone else wants to come out and wants autocross advice, I go to most of the events locally. My car is Silver. My tire trailer is grey. I'm usually the only S2000 anyway. Send me a email if you want to coordinate.

I'm surprised I don't see more S2000's coming out. It may not be as fast as a track "school", but you can go 100% since there is nothing hard to hit. I saw Chris Lang once last fall, and we had one at the March autocross school this year, but that's it.

Street Tire class is available and is indexed by car type to equalize competition. S02's are considered street tires. Novice Class is also available.

Results for this ER event are now posted at http://autocross.com/er/calendar.htm. Then click on "Challenge Cup #3". Looks like entry was actually 80+. In addition to six runs they had fun runs after. I didn't stay, but there is usually a lot of car swapping, and chance to experiment. The PAX runs ("R" results at the end) are a separate competiton and are indexed. They pay cash rather that trophies. Regular ER trophies are glass beer mugs with logo and place.

The next ER event is at Mineral Wells, former Ft. Wolters helicopter training base. Map on web site. 40 miles west of FW, but a large site at 1600 feet square. Typical course time 60-80 seconds.

Also here is the SCCA local schedules:

http://autocross.com/texasregion/calendar.htm The next SCCA event may be at Mineral Wells or at Pennington Field in Bedford. Be sure to check web site the day before.

[Edited by Gregg Lee on 05-07-2001 at 07:26 AM]
Old 05-07-2001, 07:50 AM

Gregg,

You were working the starting line while my friend/colleague Jack McCandless and I were running my Blue MR2 Turbo.
We did come over to say hi but you were pretty busy. I like your trailer set up! Curious, where did you get your spare wheels, and what size/brand race tires are you running?

I've participated at two driver ed track day events (one each in the S2000 and the MR2) and they were awesome...but, 100+ mph without a rollcage and fire system is a little risky for me. I really enjoyed flogging the MR2 around
at the Autocross and learning just how much "sideways" is recoverable. I was able to throttle steer a lot on the autocross course which was not the case on the more open road course.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:09 AM

Sorry about looking busy. I was in the tire changing zone, I suspect. Just interrupt.

I got wheels by posting offer to buy from someone who had changed to aftermarket wheels. Paid $1000 for set with mounted S02's last August.

The only tire size combo available in AX tires is 225/50 front 245/45 rear. I run Kuhmo victoracer 700's. Hoosier Autocrossers are also available. Kuhmo's are cheaper and said to last longer. They are also heavier. Discount Tire at Tollway and Plano Parkway handles them. Talk to Todd Eaddy. Pictures on Tirerack web site.

Much heavier front swaybar required to control oversteer.
Old 05-07-2001, 10:37 AM

I went on Saturday but it was just a bunch of Vipers so I left... once you have seen 1 Viper you have seen them all, plus they were behind the fence and you couldn't get very close to them. I stayed... oh... about 45 seconds and left I did see a silver s2k, not sure who that was, it was parked out by the road. I didn't get to go Sunday, was too busy sleeping
Old 05-07-2001, 03:01 PM

It was mine. While keeping an eye on it I saw you and friend park yellow and walk around for a while. I was working on the course at the time. Viper Club of America was having a three day SW divisional event including autocross outside, and track day inside. In return for ER putting on the autocross, they paid for us to use a lot on Sunday while they had track day.

The Viper owners ran their own cars (including one 800 hp twin turbo), but also got to run two new Vipers, provided by Dodge, four times apiece. Guess which ones they flogged harder. Around 100 drivers. I lobbied for workers to get runs at lunch hour, but they had too many VIP's to entertain. At least they bought lunch.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by skitz
[B]I went on Saturday but it was just a bunch of Vipers so I left...