Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Help me out!

Old 06-13-2002, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out!

Hey guys,

I've seen this subject before..but I just can't find it. On my 1st gear...I rev up with cloutch down...and let go as I press gas all the way down.....I red line it...but the freaken car just isn't moving....and then the freaken smell comes out, like the engine didn't have any oil...guys tell me i'm ok..and I didn't mess it up.......Praying!

mike
Old 06-13-2002, 05:28 AM

You burned your clutch. Should be okay if this is your first time, but don't do it often.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had the same problem. This car just isn't a drag car! If you are trying to get a good launch on concrete by revving it up, and dumping the clutch ... give it up. The clutch won't generate as much grip as the tires will. Some people say that if you let the clutch out fast enough (by slipping your foot off of the side of the pedal, and letting it pop), then it will grab enough to generate some wheel spin. I haven't tried it yet, because I have also heard so many horror stories about blowing out the differential.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:51 AM

Yeah, turn your clutch over, it's done on that side... Just be careful.

You should keep the engine spinning at about 5K. When you launch, let out the clutch but keep the gas where it us until the car grabs (don't dump the gas right away, otherwise, you'll get what happened to you). As the clutch grabs, progressively depress the gas. It's similar to launching a larger displacement engine w/out prerevving (cuz ours doesn't have enough torque). You don't just dump the gas otherwise you'll be sitting on the line smoking your tires (or in our small displacement engine's case, burning the clutch). This is just our observation. Just be careful and have fun.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:26 PM

guys,

thanks for your replies...I went to Lute raily honda this morning after waited 1 hour and finally they came up with an answer. That was......"reving your engine too high and dont do that even if you are on neutural. otherwise it will give you that smell but you will be ok, some ppl had broken valve tube at 30k miles when they rev it often. then you are in trouble." I asked will the smell go away and they said it wont its normal to have the smell when the rpm is at 5k to 7k spin. umm......it doesnt sound good guys and does anyone's s2k smells like mine. I hope i'm not the only s2k that smells.

Also black oil are coming out of my exachast tip why is that.....does yours do the same?
Old 06-13-2002, 12:32 PM

Your not the only one. You should be fine.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeeGYM
[B]Your not the only one.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:13 PM

thank goodness you guys answered my question but my smell went away...immediately.......but yeah it does smell like crap!!!
Old 06-23-2002, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by DediCondon
thank goodness you guys answered my question but my smell went away...immediately.......but yeah it does smell like crap!!!
yes it does smell like crap, but now i'm cool. hee hee
Old 07-03-2002, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no probs with a 7500 rpm launch on concrete AS LONG AS YOU POP THE CLUTCH. Simply slip your foot sideways of the clutch, there can be no type of slippage or it will never grab. According to a GTech that pulls 5.5 0-60 times.

I would guess that with an 8000 rpm launch I could better that time because on asphalt, where it doesn't grab quite as good i have gotten a 5.3 0-60.

Sure wish I could get into the 4's, but I think I have too much mechanical empathy to do whatever it would take.

Quick Reply: Help me out!