Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

HELP! Ticking noise coming form engine bay...

Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up HELP! Ticking noise coming form engine bay...

Ok, when I am turning the wheel more than a 1/4-turn and I start to accelerate, I hear a loud ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the engine bay. It almost sounds like a subdued diesel engine, or kind of like the classic playing card in bicycle spokes. What am I to do!!

I'm due for my 45k tuneup, so should I just have it checked out when I go in for that? Which also brings up another question, where should I go to have this done? I know a few of you guys work at dealerships around here, I live in West Plano and am willing to travel for good service (a.k.a. NOT Lute Riley). Also, how much am I really going to have to pay for someone to "Inspect" this and "Check" that? It looks like the only real thing to have done is an oil change (and I'm right on time for that too!). I would do my own inspecting/checking, but as much as I hope and pray they still haven't started offering any automotive classes at JPMorgan Chase!!

FYI, engine mods are minor with CAI and Exhaust. It is dropped about 1.25-1.5" so is there a chance I bottomed out and hit something? I'm pretty critical so I would usally remember a pain like that, but I don't recall anything...

Anyways, somebody, anybody, help me!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a CV joint or steering rack to me but you said from the engine bay compartment so i don't know.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:33 AM

It's also heard when I first start the car. Somebody else started my car while I was outside of it (taking out the trash, wahoo!) and I recall hearing the ticking coming from the hood vent...
Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Sep 6 2005, 10:17 AM
Sounds like a CV joint or steering rack to me but you said from the engine bay compartment so i don't know.
I think Cosmos may be right on. Does sound like a CV joint. Look at the CV boots and see if one has a tear in it. Get ready to pucker up if it is.

David McDavid in Frisco has good techs and Bankston in Lewisville. Lewisville may be a stretch.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:56 AM

Ouch, this is not sounding good so far... If it is a torn boot, how much stress can the car handle before something really severe happens? This is my daily driver so unfortunately it will be hard not to drive it.

I plan on getting this checked out today after work, that's why I'm asking for suggestions on where I should take her.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 60N5.5,Sep 6 2005, 08:34 AM
...Get ready to pucker up if it is....
geez - I was gonna say, once you figure out what it is to just fix it yourself... it's not that hard to replace a half shaft (if that's the problem) and you can save a TON of money... but parts are hard to find for this damn car.

I searched several places for CV axle assemblies and kept getting "Call for price and availability". WTF? Is there a good website somewhere for Honda parts?

Old 09-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Banned

I still recommend Honda House in Carrollton - talk to Bill or Mike. They use an aftermarket axle they claim is stronger and it will save you nearly 1000 bucks. I paid 600 compared to 1500 that Lute Riley wanted on my old Accord.

Edit: I might mention I don't like Hondarama because they use refurbished parts, but they were even cheaper.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ijumpman23,Sep 6 2005, 08:56 AM
Ouch, this is not sounding good so far... If it is a torn boot, how much stress can the car handle before something really severe happens? This is my daily driver so unfortunately it will be hard not to drive it.

I plan on getting this checked out today after work, that's why I'm asking for suggestions on where I should take her.
My understanding is that the rubber accordion-shaped CV boots just keep dirt, other contaminants, and water out of the CV joint while keeping the grease IN.

So - the problem with a torn boot is that dirt etc gets inside the joint and starts to ruin the bearing surfaces. If it has already started clicking, then the joint is already gone.

Note: you mentioned that this happened at startup once... well if you weren't MOVING, then it couldn't be a CV. Maybe it is an electronic power steering system problem? One question: does the noise increase/decrease with speed? If so, I'd lean toward something (like a CV) that is a rotating piece.

A power steering issue would also jibe with it being heard from under the hood... the half shafts (axle shafts, CV shafts - same thing) are in the rear of the car.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

I agree = not moving means it's prob something else. However, if you shake the car while its not moving, you'd hear it if it was th CV boots/joints.

Also, when my accord's joints were going out, i noticed in the winter time it would make more noise, and then when the car was warmed up the sound would disappear.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:34 AM

Yeah, when I start the car I can hear the noise for a brief moment, but then it goes away. When I give it a rev from idle, the noise still doesn't stick its nasty head out. Its not until I'm driving that it's heard again.

On a turn, the noise and speed of the ticking does increase as I give it more gas, then disappears as I straighten out.

Again, this only happens when I turn the wheel more than a 1/4-turn. Changing lanes and small turns do no produce the sound. Also, even at warm temps the clicking/ticking can still be heard on turns...

Would anybody be willing to help if the damage is something that can be done in a garage? I love cars, but I'm sad to say I barely know anything about the mechanics...

Quick Reply: HELP! Ticking noise coming form engine bay...