Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Homecoming 2

Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, So I asked Dale, our off duty DPD officer overwatching precious jewelry. He was also the supervisor for auto theft division, and he looked at me like I was crazy! He said "hes never heard of anything like that." That would be one pretty dirty little trick of them tho...
Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EH6TunerDaniel,Aug 10 2010, 04:10 PM
Lol. Im not doing 90. Thats almost vtec for me in sixth.
Key word is ALMOST.

I'm planning on hauling ass and have my own mini-cannonball run, i'mma see if i can't hit cali in 18 hrs. You guys are more than welcome to tag along.

I wouldn't worry about that radar telescope. But the Cops and Highway Patrol, do hang out at the bottoms of hills and bridge/on-ramp embankments and they are deadly with Instant On and Quick Trigger Radar.

As for flying planes, AZ and TX are the ones to watch out for. They use VASCAR, hard to spot the plane, just keep an eye out for Intervals of Solid white lines. They measure the time it takes from one white line to the next to determine speed, and send a unmarked or marked car to ticket you.

And AZ has photo radar on highways, i heard they were supposed to be taken down, but not sure.

Anyway it should be a fun road trip.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 PM

hmm...^^This is key information!! Thanks! Good thing for those of us with softtops for topdown plane scouting!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrKlean187,Aug 10 2010, 11:02 PM
hmm...^^This is key information!! Thanks! Good thing for those of us with softtops for topdown plane scouting!

A word of advice to those that haven't taken long roadtrips in their S... Top down, while great fun when cruising around town, becomes annoying after about hour 3.

Of course, YMMV...

But, then, top down does, in fact, affect your fuel mileage. Expect to lose 2-3+ mpg at highway speeds with the topdown (and, again, quite literally, YMMV ). While not necessarily a big deal on shorter trips, when planning 1000mi trip, 2-3 mpg can affect the weight distribution in your pants (if you catch my drift).

ETA: I haven't seen it mentioned and I'm sure you guys are on top of it...but just in case, make sure to bring FRS (or GPRS) radios. When everyone meets in Phx on Fri morning, there'll be a short driver's meeting right before we head out where a radio freq will be set for the trip

I'd be looking to meet up with you guys on your way into Phx if we weren't planning on getting into Phx on Wed night
Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 AM

LOL!!! i am NOT going top down. are you serious? its gonna be 100+ outside! on any road trip i put my top up and a/c on one thing i will do though is over my bumper with painters tape
Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 AM

You think it will still be 100+ in September?

I just looked at the map and it looks like you guys are taking the 10 all the way through, I amd taking to 8 to pick up a friend in San Diego as a passenger.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JS2k.com,Aug 10 2010, 05:22 PM
Hmm, interesting.
I've heard from other people who have made the drive across Texas that the cops have radar telescopes. They below the crest of a hill, and raise up a tube (?) so that the radar gun can shoot you before you ever see the cruiser.
No clue about its validity.
I think you mean periscope, like what a submarine uses to see above water? I did a google search, and didn't see anything pertaining to police using radar periscopes for anything. However, I don't see how a periscope would really give them that much of an advantage. When you are speeding on an interstate, you are pretty much just hoping that your radar detector picks up the radar of another guy way ahead of you.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 AM

It's not a periscope or an extended radar. It's infrared. They don't use them for speeders. It's used for patrolling. And they're $10K units, so they don't waste installing them on vehicles that patrol during the day - and small po-dunk towns in west texas don't have them.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rioyellows2k,Aug 11 2010, 02:39 PM
It's not a periscope or an extended radar. It's infrared. They don't use them for speeders. It's used for patrolling. And they're $10K units, so they don't waste installing them on vehicles that patrol during the day - and small po-dunk towns in west texas don't have them.
So you're saying that JS2K.com got it so confused that he was talking about the wrong technology used by the wrong people at the wrong place for the wrong purpose? Hmmm...
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Speaking of infrared. Rio, wanna give me 1k soo i can buy a FLIR Thermal camera? It'll make the trip a little quicker...

Reminds me, i gotta get the scanner programmed. heh heh heh.

Quick Reply: Homecoming 2