Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Hookup on Tires and alignments in Plano Tx

Old 07-03-2015, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hookup on Tires and alignments in Plano Tx

Long story short, I had lost in-touch with my good friend Ryker. I had met him some 5 years ago at the old Wednesday night import meets in Plano off Coit and Park. I looked him up recently and found out he is still working on his old Datsun Z cars and now a Service Manager at Firestone off Ave K and Park in Plano. When I needed a set of tires, I was having an awfully hard time getting the Federal 595RSR's for my07 due to being on backorder, he normally doesn't deal with the Federal brand but he pulled through at a very reasonable price. He recently got a set of the new Bridgestone re71R's in for his car while I was in the shop... wow those things look aggressive.

He asked me to mention if anyone in the S2KI community needs Bridgestones for autocross or street to hit him up, he can lessen the blow on a premium tire for all S2Kers For autocrossers he can stock 255's in the re71R if enough interest(I would imagine, I expect to see that tire kick the RS3's off the podiums). Also he personally worked on my car, took real good care to not scratch my wheels and also went the extra mile to spray paint the wheel weights black to match my wheels and used the "GOOD" torque wrench and not just bust out the torque sticks on an impact.

For the non staggered S2000's, let him know ahead of time if your wheels have the hubcentric rings... I told him after the fact and luckily we didn't have to swap rings around or dismount and mount tires again.

Go see Ryker at Firestone Ave K in Plano.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:35 AM

Almost forgot, I hit a pothole on I35 headed to an autocross at TMS Bus lot one morning... the steering felt a little numb on-center and steering wheel was ever so slightly offset, ran the car regardless lol. I did not have time to take care of it for the next three weeks and sure enough it killed the inside shoulders of my old tires, didn't care those old tires were already on the wear bars. It knocked out my toe and camber on the RF. Ryker had to use boards to get the car on the rack but worked out great, reset front toe to zero and matched my camber on LF. I am sure he will take custom alignment settings without giving you a speech on how you will kill a bus full of nuns by using custom settings like I have received in the past, just remember that most Alignment racks use degrees and not inches, go to Rob Robinettes sight to convert inches to degrees for the toe settings.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good to know, I plan on getting RE71s next season.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:31 PM

Hey Brandon! Don't know if you remember me or not, I am Gary, big guy with the silverstone AP2 with black wheels. I havn't been to an AutoX in two months now so I havnt seen you in a while, scheduling conflicts, straight month of rain, not willing to drive to Mineral Wells then the backorder on the Federals... Either way I should hit up the next NTAXS on the 25th at TMS Bus lot. Been itching to try out these Federals.

So far the Federals dry grip is awesome, very confidence inspiring, laterally they slip progressively and not exponentially or sudden in my opinion. Straight line grip from a start is aggressive enough that I now think of the well being of my dif LOL. 5K and dump of the clutch will induce the giggles at a stoplight. Rain is treacherous. Feels like driving a sperm up the highway. Also have a constant pushing of water affect in the rain, as if I have a snow plow on the front bumper. The carcass is stiffer, ride is slightly harsher than I am used to but may be the pressures I am at... Will see what happens at the track.

The RE71R's look awesome, I don't think I would want to get caught in the rain with those, probably just as bad as the Federals. I will be saving my pennies for another set of TRM wheels and street tires now that I sold my then daily RSX TypeS, maybe another set of Sumitomo HTR3's for daily duty... I got 25K+ miles out of them plus a dozen AutoX and one PCA Time Trial, $100/per on tirerack and were great in the rain. Nice ride quality too, just not exciting hahaha
Old 07-07-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are they capable of lowered vehicle alignments?
Old 07-07-2015, 03:25 PM

Yes and no. I am an inch down on my coilovers and they had to lift the rear of the car up by hand to clear my exhaust. Any lower and it would be a real PITA to get on their alignment rack. As far as settings, Rykers' tech can do whatever you want if the car will allow. Do you have custom settings you are shooting for? What is your setup and I can tell you if its possible? If the car is lower than an inch, their is a inground rack at Sports City Toyota in Garland Tx, their alignment tech was able to do a slammed RX7 and also my s2000, regardless of drop. That guy is also sport car savvy, he is prominent on the RX7 FD boards also so I can vouch, cant remember the guys name... Poop.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by buldozr
Hey Brandon! Don't know if you remember me or not, I am Gary, big guy with the silverstone AP2 with black wheels. I havn't been to an AutoX in two months now so I havnt seen you in a while, scheduling conflicts, straight month of rain, not willing to drive to Mineral Wells then the backorder on the Federals... Either way I should hit up the next NTAXS on the 25th at TMS Bus lot. Been itching to try out these Federals.

So far the Federals dry grip is awesome, very confidence inspiring, laterally they slip progressively and not exponentially or sudden in my opinion. Straight line grip from a start is aggressive enough that I now think of the well being of my dif LOL. 5K and dump of the clutch will induce the giggles at a stoplight. Rain is treacherous. Feels like driving a sperm up the highway. Also have a constant pushing of water affect in the rain, as if I have a snow plow on the front bumper. The carcass is stiffer, ride is slightly harsher than I am used to but may be the pressures I am at... Will see what happens at the track.

The RE71R's look awesome, I don't think I would want to get caught in the rain with those, probably just as bad as the Federals. I will be saving my pennies for another set of TRM wheels and street tires now that I sold my then daily RSX TypeS, maybe another set of Sumitomo HTR3's for daily duty... I got 25K+ miles out of them plus a dozen AutoX and one PCA Time Trial, $100/per on tirerack and were great in the rain. Nice ride quality too, just not exciting hahaha
Yeah, I remember you.. fitting screenname haha!

You'll definitely notice a HUGE improvement with your Federals. They may take an event to scrub in (so I hear) but try put a good amount of street miles on them before NTAXS and you should be ok. I'll try to make it out on the 25th!
Old 07-08-2015, 01:06 AM

Love my redneck screen name, been rocking this since '97, back when QuakeII was cool LOL. Can't wait man, see you there!!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:13 PM

Gary,

Peter from the Autox at TMS (Blue S).

Can you either post up or Pm me the price on the RE71s as I will be going square (255) for the street soon, since the push and overbraking on the staggered fronts are a killer.

Good to meet you out there and hope the heat wasn't too big a killer.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 PM

The heat was tolerable but it tore up my feet!! I thought I had stepped on a nail in the parking lot at lunch come to find out it was blisters, literally burning my feet through my shoes. I didn't want to seem anti social staying in the car but I was in pain LOL. My Pumas are not cutting it, great shoes but sole too thin for TX asphalt.

I will update this thread with a price on the 71r's squared for ya, it will be a good reference for other s2ki club members to see as well.

Nice meeting you too Peter!! Gernby was running the 71r's, I did not get a chance to pick his brain on them yet but I am sure they are 'nationals' worthy from reading the reviews and seeing others do well at the track. I think this year has been a great year for new tire models.

Quick Reply: Hookup on Tires and alignments in Plano Tx