Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club
View Poll Results: I don't do track days because...
I have no interest.
12.00%
I don't have the money.
48.00%
I don't have the time or doing Autocross or other events.
16.00%
I think my car is not ready.
12.00%
I am not willing to take the risk of hurting myself or my car
12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

I don't do track days because....

Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00MUGENS2
@brandondan1:

I run Carbotech brake pads. Usually $300 for a full set and they will last 6-7 track days (full year). That with Motul brake fluid will be all you will need for a worry free trackday.

And I have run off course MANY times at MSR, ECR, and HHR and have never had an issue with damage. The tracks around here have very flat(with a few exceptions) run-off areas where you can go off safely and be ok.
This is why I made the following post=> https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/994...ns-and-truths/

(sorry for being such a post junky lately
Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by davidnyc' timestamp='1355239230' post='22203163
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1355231813' post='22202953']
Most people have moved on to other cars.
Yeah, understood, that is exactly what happened to the Type R group... Some went to other cars and some just went away. But what did happen is that as the cars became cheaper in the used car market, the demographic became much younger who had a bunch of different interests that did not include the same interests as the original owners. I can imagine that is what happened/ing to the S2000 as a car no longer in production and definitely decreasing in price.
Bingo, it happens with every car. When it does, that's when I know to move on to something else.
[/quote]

Why does that impact your decision whether or not to keep a car? I moved on from the S2000 1/07, and came back to it 5/12. I hope to keep this one a long time, regardless of how I fit in (or not) w/ the demographics. I've had both higher and lower end cars, and for me the S2000 seems to be the sweet spot for cost, fun, and reliability for a track car.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1355267268' post='22204385
[quote name='davidnyc' timestamp='1355239230' post='22203163']
[quote name='CosmosMpower' timestamp='1355231813' post='22202953']
Most people have moved on to other cars.
Yeah, understood, that is exactly what happened to the Type R group... Some went to other cars and some just went away. But what did happen is that as the cars became cheaper in the used car market, the demographic became much younger who had a bunch of different interests that did not include the same interests as the original owners. I can imagine that is what happened/ing to the S2000 as a car no longer in production and definitely decreasing in price.
Bingo, it happens with every car. When it does, that's when I know to move on to something else.
[/quote]

Why does that impact your decision whether or not to keep a car? I moved on from the S2000 1/07, and came back to it 5/12. I hope to keep this one a long time, regardless of how I fit in (or not) w/ the demographics. I've had both higher and lower end cars, and for me the S2000 seems to be the sweet spot for cost, fun, and reliability for a track car.
[/quote]

The community changes and so does the mindset of the owners. I don't care to be associated with a bunch of dumb people that start doing stuff like hard parking cars, street racing etc. Also the pool of technical knowledge and support seems to go down as the community changes demographics from educated enthusiasts to high school kids.

With that being said the S2000 is a good mix of performance, fun and economy. I'm actually looking for one as a disposable track car and part time dd myself.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't track much, since I am currently autocrossing. Once I start getting bored with autocrossing again, I'll start doing more track days. I've tried doing both at the same time, but it seems like you would really need to have 2 sets of race wheels / tires so that you don't ruin the autocross tires.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidnyc
First track day in our cars only need brake pads and good fluid = $300

The above is ok modifications for the first year or so of tracking.

I agree.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Personally, the only way I would track a car is by having a dedicated track car.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by davidnyc
I do Apex because of the one day commitment. I also have done Driver's Edge only on Saturday. Just have to ask them and you can do only one day with them.

I just looked at the NTAXS Autocross results and there are multiple people who regularly Autocross their s2ks. I believe that is where most s2k drivers are located.
by 1 day commitment i'm talking me.

wake up at the ass crack of dawn to get to ECR by like 730 for the drivers meeting (from plano)

run 4 sessions

get gas before i run out at that gas station next to chicken express since the S gets like 5mpg on the track

get home and the sun has set

every other track is far enough it'd be time to go to sleep by the time you get home.

actually, i just looked up cresson and it's about as far away as ECR. guess i will check it out. thought it was further.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Personally, the only way I would track a car is by having a dedicated track car.
Well you have no excuse then since you have 4 CR S2000's. Surely you can afford to gut one down and make it a dedicated track car.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM

This year I havent been out as much as I would have liked, and when I did, I was trying to get a base line for some before and after lap times for my Miata project.

Next year I should be able to make most events, but I will probably be in the Miata working out bugs.

@brandondan1:

I run Carbotech brake pads. Usually $300 for a full set and they will last 6-7 track days (full year). That with Motul brake fluid will be all you will need for a worry free trackday.

And I have run off course MANY times at MSR, ECR, and HHR and have never had an issue with damage. The tracks around here have very flat(with a few exceptions) run-off areas where you can go off safely and be ok. See Video

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUIeCj9Ke1E&feature=player_detailpage#t=0s[/media]
LOL Dave and I are in the very end of the last clip of that video.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@brandondan1:

And I have run off course MANY times at MSR, ECR, and HHR and have never had an issue with damage. The tracks around here have very flat(with a few exceptions) run-off areas where you can go off safely and be ok. See Video
Ah I see...I guess the people cracking stock rotors are just crazy on the brakes??

I'll probably be out to a few events next year in the noob group.